Advice on Calibra options

For all general things Calibra related

Advice on Calibra options

by greyblue » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:52 pm

I have just been informed by my usual motor engineer at Hesketh Bank near Southport, that my 1997 V6 Calibra automatic needs new cylinder head gaskets. The work will cost £800 + VAT so probably around £1000 in all. The car is in good condition otherwise, having covered only 109k, with rust free titanium colour bodywork, leather interior, smoothly operating sunroof and cold air conditioning. Also, it is the only Calibra I've seen, that has none of those disfiguring cracks in that plastic curved strip just inside the bottom edge of the windscreen.

May I ask forum members for their opinions as to whether the car is worth having the money spent on it to replace the cylinder head gaskets, or am I just throwing money away? Would I be better off trying to sell it privately, or taking it to "We Buy Any Car" or even scrapping it?
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Re: Advice on Calibra options

by Callyman » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:37 am

I would be firstly asking why 'BOTH' gaskets need doing?

Can they explain to you what are the symptons to think that not just one but both have gone?

There is NO reason I can think of that would cause both gaskets to go together.

If they cannot prove they need doing go elsewhere.

Please report back with what they say, I fear they are pulling a fast one or have no idea what they are talking about.
Details on how to join the club---Click me
Club Memberships
Club Memberships

by greyblue » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:49 am

Thank you for your suggestion, Callyman. I presumed that replacement of both gaskets was suggested on account of the expense involved in replacing just one, might be not a lot less than replacing both at the same time. But, I will certainly enquire into this when I next contact the motor engineers. Maybe it's difficult to identify which gasket has blown, so the only safe option is to replace both?

As a non-technical person myself, I greatly value insights such as this.

May I further enquire, is a replacement head gasket to be expected at 110k? The car has been driven very gently in the eight years and 45k I've owned it, from 65k in 2008.

I had a Cavalier which did 150k with no need for a replacement head gasket, and my other Calibra (a 16v) has done 145k to date with no need for one. So, are V6 engines more vulnerable or am I just unlucky with this one?

Thank you again.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by sealeysonic » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:36 pm

We buy any car.com would only give you scrap value at most....?

I would also say most ppl who sell there calibras regret it......but it depends on the history of the car....and cash available.....!!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Cliff » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:58 pm

A blown head gasket on a v6 especially with that mileage isn't to be expected unless a major failure in the cooling system caused overheating. They're damned tough engines even if the drip oil all over! So it's a strange one.... What symptoms do you have that led you to the garage?
Site Admin
Site Admin

by Callyman » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:20 pm

I'm suspecting you have oil in the water.
If so then the most likely cause would be the oil heat exchanger has gone.
Details on how to join the club---Click me
Club Memberships
Club Memberships

by greyblue » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:23 pm

Hello Cliff,

Thank you for your enquiry.

The main symptom which led me to have the matter investigated, was that on startup I can hear a “whooshing” noise coming from somewhere on the right hand (driver’s) side of the bulkhead, forward of the instrument binnacle. I’m not sure whether it is coming from in front or behind the bulkhead. It sounds a bit like bubbly water going through a hose pipe - perhaps to the heater matrix?

The “whooshing” noise disappears after a short distance, after which it is not heard again until the next time I start the car. The car has needed approximately monthly top-ups of water, (about ¾ pint on each occasion), for a few years now. I put this down to a tiny leak somewhere in a hose joint, or that it was 'normal' for that sort of engine.

When checking the oil level the dipstick has never had any mayonnaise on it. The car is automatic, has always been serviced annually, driven gently and never used for any hard work like towing.

The car still drives brilliantly and, once on the move, one would be forgiven for doubting that there is anything wrong with it at all.

Bearing in mind how few Calibras there are left on the roads these days, it seems all the more sad to be looking at a probably uneconomic repair, or scrapping the car altogether.

Sealysonic - I was offered £60 by "We Buy Any Car".
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Cliff » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:11 pm

Hmm suspicious. I'd expect coolant or oil to have crossed over but it could be going straight out of the exhaust - do you get a lot of white smoke? have they done a sniff test or a compression test that proved it is the head gasket?
Site Admin
Site Admin

by greyblue » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:30 pm

Hello again Cliff,

I haven't noticed any white smoke - nothing unusual at all. If there was any smoke, I'd have noticed it in my rear view mirror while waiting at traffic lights. There has been no sniff or compression test so far as I am aware - certainly none was mentioned. A few minutes ago I phoned the motor engineers to put these and other queries, but they weren't able to talk to me just then. They have promised to call me back - and they always do. When I get the answers I'll post a reply.

The puzzling thing is that apart from the whooshing noise on startup but which soon disappears, the car drives just as smoothly as it has ever done. That V6 really is a nice thing to have under the bonnet. I have been advised however, to drive the car as little as possible to prevent the head gasket problem getting worse. After reading the responses to my posting though, I'm beginning to wonder if there could be another explanation. It wouldn't be the first time an issue was mis-diagnosed - as I recently found with my Calibra 16v shift control solenoid (see other topic).

If the car is going to end up as scrap, then I suppose it won't make any difference if I do drive it in the meantime!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by greyblue » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:34 pm

Cally, Cliff and others;

I've just had a call back from the motor engineers. They say they did a compression gas test which detects the presence of carbon monoxide gas in the coolant and it came out positive. Apparently this is a conclusive test for a blown gasket.

They say that there is no way to tell which of the two gaskets has blown, until so much of the engine is removed, that both gaskets might as well be replaced anyway. Time is quoted as 13 hours at £30 per hour plus VAT, and a V6 gasket kit is £150 + VAT, so I'm looking at £540 + VAT = £648 assuming the heads don't have to be skimmed. If they do, it's £30 per head extra + VAT.

It was interesting to learn from the mechanic I spoke to, that a cylinder head gasket can go at any time. They have had a Corsa with a blown gasket at only 45k, yet there are other cars (such as my 16v Calibra with over 140k on the clock) that have never had a blown gasket. So, it seems that I have been lucky to have driven three Calibras during the last 13 years for this to be the first time I've had a head gasket issue.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Cliff » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:01 pm

That's really unluckily but at least they seem to have done their homework. I don't think the labour rate or time estimates are completely off the charts so I guess it depends if you feel it's worth saving (please do!!!)
Site Admin
Site Admin

by v6 steve » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:18 pm

where are you based ? the chances are its the rear bank but there is no way to be 100% sure until you get them off, as for prices gasket set head bolts timing belt and water pump youll get them all for about £350 from Autovaux with the club discount and it it would take a good day to strip and put back together, so there prices arent to far out youll all ways pay more at a garage,
is there not some one that could do it as a hommer for you ?
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by greyblue » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:30 pm

Hello V6Steve,

Thank you for your suggestions which are most appreciated. I know that I could possibly save some money by having the gaskets replaced at home, but I have been a customer of the motor engineer for over 20 years now and I know he does a good job for a reasonable price. The difference probably isn't worth it.

Besides, I can probably source the gasket set myself at a considerable saving; on eBay X25XE gasket sets are on offer for £47 including VAT plus postage, compared to £150 + VAT supplied by the garage.

Due to the long-standing business relationship, he often allows me to save a bit of money by sourcing my own parts. If I can shave costs down to the minimum, it may well yet be economically feasible to save the car from the scrappers for a bit longer, by having the head gaskets replaced.

The next step is to look at my bank account to see if it will stand the cost! I hope so!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by v6 steve » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:28 pm

still not said where your based

buy a full head set not just the head gaskets as youll need all the gaskets, and buy form autovaux they will be better than the ebay ones, and if your a full member youll get a discount which will save you a few £££
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by greyblue » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:57 am

Sorry Steve, I am based in Leyland, Lancashire.

As all Calibras are 18+ years old by now it is only to be expected that they need extra money spending on them as parts wear out. I accepted this situation years ago and have never complained.

Many a time I have been told that both of my Calibras have gone well past economic repair, but my heart has consistently overruled my head and I have yet again found the cash to keep them on the road.

My problem is that I have never had the equipment or the time to do repairs at home - I have always got them done at the motor engineer's and paid their prices for doing so.

Still, it helps keep local people in employment and, with all the equipment and expertise they have, the jobs can be done in a fraction of the time it would take for me to do them at home.

I'm biased of course but I still think Calibras are sensationally good-looking cars. Have you noticed how quickly people let you out at t-junctions? I rarely see more than three cars go past before someone stops and indicates for me to pull out. I can almost hear them saying, "Look at that - a Calibra - you don't see many of those these days!"
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Next