LET the rebuild begin

Show off your Projects here, the link for the garage is at the top of the page for showcasing your car

by bodgetastic » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:00 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-T.F.S.+--><div class='quotetop'>(T.F.S.)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->its odd to have a non JE piston in a JE wrapper....they also look exactly like a JE and TBH IMO it is a JE piston?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sorry Brian, wires crossed :icon_mrgr

They are JE Pistons, but from SBS (steveboyslim). You mentioned mine have the thicker crown but SBS does the thinner?
More power than God
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

by T.F.S. » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:17 pm

lol, SBS

oh i thought he done thicker crowns as they are said to deform under pressure...
T.F.S.

by bodgetastic » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:51 pm

As usual, slow progress over the last couple of weeks, but a quick update.

Here's the block back from the engineers, bored to suit the pistons. Just in the middle of painting and prepping it for the rebuild, when 'hopefully' things will start to come together a little quicker......

I oiled the block straight after getting it back but you will see it has started to oxidise in a couple of places on the matting surface. Is there anything I can do to combat this and what is acceptable.

Here's the block from the other angle, oil squirts ready to go in....

Just need to make up the dam oil pickup this weekend and can put it back together.

Turbo and manifold should be arriving soon, the latter costing 9k :icon_mrgr :icon_mrgr
Last edited by bodgetastic on Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More power than God
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

by Stupink » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:19 pm

I just store mine in the house.. i know its not ideal to most, but it stops the rust appearing. [img]/biggrin.gif[/img]
Toyota Mr-2 roadster turbo
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by T.F.S. » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:52 am

you can oil it as you ahve and then use fine wire wool from B+Q to remove any oxidisation after that
T.F.S.

by EY » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:02 am

Bodge, the manifold cost 9 grand??? Was that a typo? [img]/biggrin.gif[/img]
1993 SAAB powered Calibra turbo. TD04-19t. Stage 4. 300bhp.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by bodgetastic » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:21 am

<!--QuoteBegin-T.F.S.+--><div class='quotetop'>(T.F.S.)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->you can oil it as you ahve and then use fine wire wool from B+Q to remove any oxidisation after that<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> Can I use that on the bores ?

<!--QuoteBegin-EY+--><div class='quotetop'>(EY)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Bodge, the manifold cost 9 grand??? Was that a typo? [img]/biggrin.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No :icon_mrgr :icon_mrgr

<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->I didn't mention it wasn't £sterling though<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> :icon_mrgr
More power than God
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

by T.F.S. » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:22 am

lol, you could but id never advise it!

use a honer for the bore [img]/wink.gif[/img]
T.F.S.

by EY » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:43 am

9k Rupees? [img]/biggrin.gif[/img]
1993 SAAB powered Calibra turbo. TD04-19t. Stage 4. 300bhp.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by bodgetastic » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:16 am

<!--QuoteBegin-EY+--><div class='quotetop'>(EY)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->9k Rupees? [img]/biggrin.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lol, closer to 90k Rupees :icon_mrgr

Been keeping the postman busy all this week and running out of places to store things so should really start rebuilding the engine.

First these two beauties turned up from the states....

*Note to anyone thinking of importing to the states, I was advised import duties would be minimal against my better judgement and was stung for £180 for the above two items* Wasn't pleased to say the least :frown:

Next up, some nice shiney roosemotorsport hoses as my Samco's are looking a bit on the oily side and the roose ones have a much bigger range....

And bolts galore for the engine, dont seem to get many for £250 though :icon_mrgr

Also massives of parts back from the powdercoaters, here's a taster.....

Last edited by bodgetastic on Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More power than God
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

by bodgetastic » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:20 am

Hopefully if I get the oil pick up made in the morning I can get the internals fitted over the weekend and it shouldn't take too long to get everything built up.

Here's the oil squirts in ............

Last edited by bodgetastic on Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More power than God
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

by Stupink » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:38 am

Good progress. so easy to get lazy with these things.. not that i'd know [img]/tongue.gif[/img] heheh.
Shame about the import, but yes, your instincts were right and you have to allow a fair £££ on top of the costs for handling and import [img]/sad.gif[/img] from my experience you are pretty much adding VAT as a rough guide.
Toyota Mr-2 roadster turbo
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by PuppiesBalls » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:54 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Stupink+--><div class='quotetop'>(Stupink)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Good progress. so easy to get lazy with these things.. not that i'd know [img]/tongue.gif[/img] heheh.
Shame about the import, but yes, your instincts were right and you have to allow a fair £££ on top of the costs for handling and import [img]/sad.gif[/img] from my experience you are pretty much adding VAT as a rough guide.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Import costs is:
VAT + DUTY(17.5%+2.7+)
Or, VAT + Handling Fee(17.5%+around 5 quid)
PuppiesBalls

by bodgetastic » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:34 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-PuppiesBalls+--><div class='quotetop'>(PuppiesBalls)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Import costs is:
VAT + DUTY(17.5%+2.7+)
Or, VAT + Handling Fee(17.5%+around 5 quid)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep, thats about right, was broken down like this:

Duty £27.87 (3.3%)
Vat £145.50 (17.5%)
Administration Fees £4.50
More power than God
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

by PuppiesBalls » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:20 am

how many rpms is this puppy going to scream to ?[img]/biggrin.gif[/img]
PuppiesBalls

PreviousNext