sorry not a Calibra but this is my saab powered conversion!

Show off your Projects here, the link for the garage is at the top of the page for showcasing your car

Re: sorry not a Calibra but this is my saab powered conversion!

by rich_DTM » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:49 pm

Update time!!!

as promised new digital camea arrived in the week so some proper photos of the project at last!
so just a few high res shots to start!

how every thing looked when i arrived!

my intake pipe, needs makeing shorter as you'll see later when i trail fitted it

so the next stage was to get the engine in!!

ITS IN woohoo, i got a bit nervous about bonnet clearance, but once the subframe was on the engine sat at the correct angle and with the bonnet closed theres about 1/4inch of cleanace so very close!
the engine mounts in just like the c20xe so no mods required here!

i read that people said if you use the saab subframe then the lower arms need swapping but i measured and the saab matched the astras exactly the same so i used the saab subframe as its all ally rather than steel like the astras so a little bit of weight saved!

i mocked up the turbo down pipe which in the week i cut off the cat and welded a stright piece of 2.5" to, its a good fit perfect position just need to angle the rear part and conect to the astra system, i will get some photos once its on the ramp at work!

picture to show the room at the front, still got to decide on a cooling fan and temp switch to use!

its tight between the inner chasis leg too, but nothing touches any where so all is good!

nearly finished connecting everything up just a few more water hoses and then custom oil cooler hoses and p.a.s hoses then the engine side of the conversion is complete! then it will be suspension swap from the saab and wiring left! need to get this on the road by the end of the month so i need to pull my finger out!
rich_DTM

by superfox233 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:35 pm

Are these engines similar to the C20LET??
superfox233

by Callyman » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:39 pm

The bottom ends are yes.
Details on how to join the club---Click me
Club Memberships
Club Memberships

by bodgetastic » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:05 pm

Good to see it yesterday mate its coming along well. Hopefully see it running at the rr day.
More power than God
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

by v6 steve » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:09 pm

good work there mate, why have you gone for the sabb engine rather than the c20let, i do like things that arent the norm :clap:
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by rich_DTM » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:20 pm

v6 steve wrote:good work there mate, why have you gone for the sabb engine rather than the c20let, i do like things that arent the norm :clap:

the main reason i didnt put the let in from my LE was money, lol i sold the C20LET which bought my wife a focus and i picked up the saab for next to nothing, in fact i'm quids in after selling parts off it, plus this should be like the 5th or 6th saab engine conversion into an astra, just abit different!

i didnt write up an update last week but some progress was made and i'll just say one thing, it will be running this weekend! :D
rich_DTM

Re: sorry not a Calibra but this is my saab powered convers

by rich_DTM » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:44 pm

Its alive!!!!

got down to my dads nice and early and finished a few bits under the bonnet, started with connecting up the fuel lines

23lebo5.jpg
23lebo5.jpg (41.98 KiB) Viewed 6332 times

i wanted to fit the saab dials but the fixing points and electrical connector is completly different so fitted the ones out of my calibra LE turbo! ( does any one no what pin the speed signal should go to?, and same with the EML to thanks)

2a9nprl.jpg
2a9nprl.jpg (44.08 KiB) Viewed 6332 times

need to figure out how i'm going to make the temp gauge work as the saab has a two wire cooling sensor!
next i nicked some braided hoses that my dad had fitted to a old heater in the shed, shhhh dont tell him!
just need to decide on where to put it when i come to refit the bumper!

1zce4u9.jpg
1zce4u9.jpg (57.31 KiB) Viewed 6332 times

i then cracked out the wiring diagrams, its handy being in the trade and having mates who use to work at saab and vauxhall so had the correct and offical wiring diagrams!
tried to make sence of the loom

2hqv05y.jpg
2hqv05y.jpg (51.27 KiB) Viewed 6332 times

what it looked like before i started

n5mqvm.jpg
n5mqvm.jpg (58.44 KiB) Viewed 6332 times

what it looked like after, i wired up the two requried relays only to find they where the wrong type so had to start over again D'oh!

but once i had wired all that up i turned the key!
i crapped my pants lol without out warning BANG out the exhuast and it started first time woohoo!
check out this small video, the down pipe isn't connected the the rest of the system yet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYajaPN8Rig

so after it run i connected up the gear linkage and i now moves aswell, i so want to take it yp the road now, but not tax or insurance yet :(

so tomorrow i will replace the rad with a brand new one as the one i fitted from the saab is leaking quicker then i can fill it will water lol, and start to tidy it all up and reassemble!
rich_DTM

by superfox233 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:08 pm

Awesome!! Great stuff!!
superfox233

by v6 steve » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:25 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: well done mte
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by tazz666 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:28 pm

well done mate :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
tazz666

by leelee » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:40 pm

well done chap :clap: :clap: :clap:
total vauxhall hall of fame autumn 2009
garage_vehicle.php?mode=view_vehicle&VID=1075
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by k1nty » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:26 pm

brilliant mate..woohoo
k1nty

by rich_DTM » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:09 pm

small update, i got the car insured today with the engine and all other mods declared so i refitted the front end and drove it for the first time today, small issue with one of the oil cooler pipes blowing off to a crap clip so after that i couldnt trash it as the oil had dropped below the min level! it seems to be under powered only hitting 4psi but i still need to finish wiring everything up correctly yet but its getting there!

a few pictured on my camera phone!

rich_DTM

by superfox233 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:15 pm

Lovin the saab badges! very subtle!! :dance: :clap:
superfox233

Previous