My cally

Show off your Projects here, the link for the garage is at the top of the page for showcasing your car

Re: My cally

by HOT-ROD » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:36 pm

I stopped messing about today and decided to take off the sound deadening off the firewall. Thought I would get a cleaner edge when painting out the bay.
Unfortunately I did find a small amount of rot under the servo just beneath the rack mount.
Will have to take out the trim tomorrow because I know of another two holes in the floor. Got a little disheartened after that thought so decided to weld in the extra mount on the drivers side inner wing and fit the other washer bottle (under the inner wing) instead.
Club Member
Club Member

by Allys Cally » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:21 pm

its the one we all dread when we remove that bit of foam, i keep putting mine off when i know i shouldn't :lol:
BETTER TO HAVE A CALIBRA AND NOT NEED ONE, THAN NEED A CALIBRA AND NOT HAVE ONE!!!

BEST STANDARD BILLING 2009 CO-OWNER
BEST STANDARD BILLING 2011 CO-OWNER
BEST PRESENTED BILLING 2012
BEST ENGINE BAY BILLING 2015
Chairmans Choice - Scottish Car Show 2016
BEST INTERIOR VBOA 2017
BEST IN SHOW VBOA 2018
VBOA CHAIRMAN CUP 2018
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by HOT-ROD » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:27 pm

I'm surprised at that bud. Thought you'd already been there what with you changing the motor. :think:
Club Member
Club Member

by Allys Cally » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:39 pm

HOT-ROD wrote:I'm surprised at that bud. Thought you'd already been there what with you changing the motor. :think:

to be fair that was 7 yrs ago mate and at that point didnt even know i was going to be keeping it :lol: :lol:
BETTER TO HAVE A CALIBRA AND NOT NEED ONE, THAN NEED A CALIBRA AND NOT HAVE ONE!!!

BEST STANDARD BILLING 2009 CO-OWNER
BEST STANDARD BILLING 2011 CO-OWNER
BEST PRESENTED BILLING 2012
BEST ENGINE BAY BILLING 2015
Chairmans Choice - Scottish Car Show 2016
BEST INTERIOR VBOA 2017
BEST IN SHOW VBOA 2018
VBOA CHAIRMAN CUP 2018
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by HOT-ROD » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:24 pm

Allys Cally wrote:
HOT-ROD wrote:I'm surprised at that bud. Thought you'd already been there what with you changing the motor. :think:

to be fair that was 7 yrs ago mate and at that point didnt even know i was going to be keeping it :lol: :lol:

Hahaha yeah that's half the problem. I've owned mine for 15 years now and if I'd known then I would still have it and looking to keep it longer there's many things I would of done different. I'm pretty sure the 2 holes I have in the floor were repaired 5 years ago just can't remember if I painted them when I was done! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Club Member
Club Member

by HOT-ROD » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:57 pm

Just an update as most of you will already know the story from faceache! I've had a nightmare trying to sort out my welder. Hunted high and low for some gas that wasn't priced like it comes in a solid gold tank! Eventually found one but since I had previously been using pub gas I had to buy the regulator too. Gets it home and starts the job. I cut out an old patch to repair that properly.
Managed to get that replaced quite nicely (I know it doesn't look pretty but it is solid!)
I thought I'd check my gas after that just out of curiosity to see how much I'd used. The bottle was nearly empty!!! :shock: listened carefully to the regulator and it was leaking.
Took it and the bottle back the following weekend and the very kindly replaced the bottle and regulator :dance: I went home and started to repair more holes in particular the hole in the firewall only to run out of wire in the next half hour! :bang: This was how it looked.
Yes the shiny bit hanging down in the hole is the corner of my steering rack mount.
Really didn't like how this was turning out. I kept blowing holes because the metal was so thin so I might of lost my temper a little and brayed it with a hammer needing me to cut out more and start again! :alright:
Anyway once I had that patch welded in and all the floor done (or so I thought!) This was how it looked.
A splash of etch primer and squirt of seam sealer later and........
After rubbing the bay down and giving all bare metal a coat of kurust and lick of etch primer.
So the whole front end is in primer filler now ready to be rubbed down and Base coated.
That's the good news. The bad news is I've been under the floor cleaning the welds on the patches ready to paint and anywhere the factory stone chip looked a bit shady I've attacked with a wire wheel and it turns out I have another 4 small holes in the floor! :( however..............once this is done I should never have to lift the carpets again.
Club Member
Club Member

by BigDaz » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:33 pm

It's good to see people getting stuck in and fixing things them self's rather than running down to the local garage only to be ripped off welding on car's can be a pain in *** metal can be so thin i weld most days at work myself and still find welding car's a dam pain kept up the good work will looking back at this thread once i start working on the se2 think the fire wall in same state
'Once Driven Forever Smitten'

Silver 1992 C2OXE CALLY (Weekend use only)

Se2 1994 C20XE CALLY (On Going Project)

Red 1991 SRI C20XE CAVVY (Been Stored Since 2008)

Red 2016 Insignia VX Line (Daily Driver)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by craigyboy » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:31 pm

Keep up the good work Tony :clap: :clap:
So much for them meant to be galvanised.
craig

Best Presented Billing 2011
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by HOT-ROD » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:39 pm

It's been an interesting couple of weeks. After dressing under the floor pan if found a few spots behind the underseal that were a bit questionable so managed to give myself an extra couple of holes to weld up :doh:

With that done, and a coat of kurust and seam sealer I gave it a lick of stonechipped.
I know it's not exactly the same finish as Rich or Steva but it is still my daily.

I also managed to get the top coat and lacquer on in the bay. Again it's not perfect but it is a lot better than it was and I'm really happy with the results. When the v6 is in there really won't be a lot left to see! :lol:

I know the colour looks a bit off but once it's polished up it is a pretty good match.

Thought it would be a quick job to build up the bay ready for the engine and box but it took best part of my Saturday by the time I made up new brake pipes for it.
So my Sunday was spent dropping the engine in. After a few stupid mistakes I managed to get the engine running late afternoon.
I did manage to post a very short video on faceache but can't get it to load through my photo bucket. This next week or two will be spent sorting out all the little teething faults (mainly the auxiliary cooling system! :alright:) then fingers crossed MOT ready for a good shakedown May so I know it's good for PVS in June.
Club Member
Club Member

by HOT-ROD » Sat May 21, 2016 5:01 pm

Well it's in and running. Taxed and tested.
I've still got 1 or 2 teething faults like no speedo, exhausts a bit loud but being as there's no cat and only 1 silencer in that's to be expected. The biggest thing is the clutch just doesn't feel quite right :think: so after pondering on it for a week I decided to fit a new one.
It now feels perfect! With less than 1 month to go till pvs I just hope I get the time to fix all the other faults.
Club Member
Club Member

by EddeyDancer » Sat May 28, 2016 9:50 am

Looks like You're doing a Top Quality Job, on it... Well Done!!! :clap:
The Ghost - V6 Opel
'Calibra with Style'
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by HOT-ROD » Sat May 28, 2016 6:05 pm

Having a right nightmare with it atm bud. Still struggling to shift this error code 46 and to top it off I've fitted my hoses today and think my radiator is leaking now. Might just be the water sizzling in the fins though, only time will tell :lol:
Club Member
Club Member

Previous