Overhauling no50 after finding nasty rot on bulkhead

Show off your Projects here, the link for the garage is at the top of the page for showcasing your car

Overhauling no50 after finding nasty rot on bulkhead

by Richiem » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:15 pm

Guys, some of you might know that recently i had a big problem with water ingress into the front of my car.
Turns out water was getting under my carpets and making the car windows wet inside all the time. The sourse of this became obvious when i lifted the carpets and under foam and found this>
Become aware that this was alot worst on the other side
Seeing as it was a rather akward spot to get the right access to the decision was made to remove the engine/ gearbox/ transfer box in one go and get in there and deal with it head on!
Id like to add that I havent the funds and the experience to do this sort of job as well as some of my other buddies on here ( although i wish i did)) but i do intend on doing the best job possible!
Firstly , out comes the engine with many thanks to Martin P and my ford pal Mark.
Club Member
Club Member

Re: Overhauling no50 after finding nasty rot on bulkhead

by Richiem » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:26 pm

Then , once out , I see there was a whole lot of work to be done, time to get busy and sort the whole engine bay out.
Good time to be rid of the scrapping aircon pump and get all the pipework out ( clean up and replace) and get all the grim out from the places you never see.. All the foam sound deadening was rotten so that all comes out which will also show me the condition of the bulkead ect.
Also found more wrongly fitted gromits ect that were also probably adding to the water ingress problem>
New ac pump on order along with a new condenser after finding mine was held together with cable ties and all broken up
Club Member
Club Member

by Richiem » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:33 pm

Now im getting involved! steering rack out / aircon pipework all out / radiator out/ new water pipes ordered/ new gear linkage bushes ordered/ new wishbones ordered/ new subframe bushes ordered/
Proper gutted about the aircon rad! Something i never planned for! On a good point ive not spent to much labour wise and have been lucky to have Martin p assist with the hard jo of dropping out the engine and my pal Mark is doing all my wielding work as a favour he owes me for. Gonna get as many hours as possible on her each day as luckily i work night shifts so get a bit of daylight time.
Club Member
Club Member

by Richiem » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:19 pm

New aircon rad ordered today and the pipework for the aircon and powersteering system all cleaned up and made nice
Also bushes for anti roll bar turned up today!
Club Member
Club Member

by Richiem » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:45 pm

Was right gutted when i see it behind the pedals tbh, but it gave me reason to get the rest of the engine bay area a good sort out.. found several rotten bushes on engine mounts / brake lines/ rotten hoses , so glad i went in there now< Only ever done this once before on my 2nd turbo around 9 years ago so not a great deal of experience. Was quite happy that Martin P came down for the day on saturday and helped with the removal of the whole lot as i would not of been able to even start this job. Top fella
Club Member
Club Member

by KERR_SE9 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:19 pm

Well done mate, looks like a thorough job, got me concerned now, I'll need to check mine!!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Richiem » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:27 pm

Ive seen 3 other cars just recently with the exact same problem John! Seems most likely caused by ouver spill from header tank or maybe brake res! The foam along the bottom of the bukhead/ chassis join seems to make this worst. Have removed it all now and im gonna use a different type sound deadening
Club Member
Club Member

by craigyboy » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:45 pm

Recently sorted that bit on mine,it seems a common problem.
craig

Best Presented Billing 2011
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Richiem » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:29 pm

Some more bits arrived today and some more cleaning done and of course, more bits found broken!
Aircon condenser Image
Seems the bushes inside the tie rods are battered!
gear linkage bushes>
Club Member
Club Member

by Richiem » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:43 pm

Steering rack rebuilt with new tie rods and new track rod ball joints Also all the crap cleaned of and painted up niceImage
Club Member
Club Member

by rich30mex » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:00 pm

Nice work keep it up can't wait to see the finished product
THE TEA BAG Calibra l,e number 4
THE WELLY rio verdi ecotec on a N reg
UNCLE ALBERT gray 8v on a J reg

Best engine bay 2011
Best engine bay 2014
Best in show 2016
Treasures cup 2016
Best engine bay 2017
Best modern retro total retro 2018

mag features
practical classics
modern classic
performance vauxhall

Have car have cloth will clean need life
Events Coordinator
Events Coordinator

by Richiem » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:35 am

Not thinking its gonna look like yours will bud but it will deffo look alot better and last longer! :clap:
Club Member
Club Member

by rich30mex » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:31 am

Richiem wrote:Not thinking its gonna look like yours will bud but it will deffo look alot better and last longer! :clap:

It's guna look sweet pal at least it getting done and not scrapped a lot off ppl would have given up along time ago
Well done
THE TEA BAG Calibra l,e number 4
THE WELLY rio verdi ecotec on a N reg
UNCLE ALBERT gray 8v on a J reg

Best engine bay 2011
Best engine bay 2014
Best in show 2016
Treasures cup 2016
Best engine bay 2017
Best modern retro total retro 2018

mag features
practical classics
modern classic
performance vauxhall

Have car have cloth will clean need life
Events Coordinator
Events Coordinator

by Richiem » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:42 pm

Thanks richie! Got the wielding sorted today, quite happy with the results tbh, got all the nasty crap out and made fresh!
got some pictures to show how it developed >>
Club Member
Club Member

by Richiem » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:15 pm

Got some new parts arrived and ive also been right busy cleaning everything ( and theres a shat lot needs cleaning) including the brake lines and master servo ect as they were all starting to go crusty.. Starting to return parts to there original places now .. Got this exhaust which is a full stainless with a sports cat and its the style i wanted that was fitted to some of the le`s back in the day with the round exhaust ports! Cleaned up quite nice!
Had a right mare with the mission to restore the aircon as it seems i left some double hard to replace pressure washers on the old unit,, these washers go between the motor and the pipework and it got taken by the euro trash! i ended up having to order these 2 daft seals from the states so im waiting on these to return now to complete the kit.
Club Member
Club Member

Next