What chip...

Any electrical issues

by noelboy » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:59 am

Well it's payday tomorrow and I want to get a chip for my '93 16v XE.
Anyone have any experiance with any particular makes?
What's the best one?
noelboy

by Topbuzz » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:13 pm

To be honest, save your money.
Experiance shows its not really worth getting a chip for a normally aspriated engine unless its big cc.
For (say) £250 worth of silicon chip you may get 5bhp increase.

Often you'll lose performance because its not tuned tour YOUR engine.
I've got 2 chips, super chip and star chip on my C20XE and I noticed no difference, apart from the high rev range but these 16v engines drop off power after 5500rpm anyway, so theres no point in reving that high.

If you have forced induction, you WILL get big gains.

If you still want to get a chip, go for a Uni-chip. £400 + costs of rolling road isn;t cheap, but its programmed for your car on the day and they can reprogramme it again if you put cams or flowed head on it etc.

In fact that reminds me, I still how those chips at home, I could sell them.....
Alan Knight (Topbuzz)
=======================
W: www.topbuzz.co.uk
E: webmaster@topbuzz.co.uk
=======================
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Tattooman » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:57 pm

Alan, i was looking at getting a unichip. i have a superchip at the moment but have done some mods since then. superchip, pipercross viper, full stainless exhaust with de-cat pipe are the mods. would a unichip and those mods give me a bigger gain bhp wise than a superchip?
Tattooman

by Topbuzz » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:07 pm

> would a unichip and those mods give me a bigger gain bhp wise than a superchip?

Yes, it will.
A super chip, with all due respect, was done on a newish c20xe engine, engine on a dyno (not in a car), with a great big fan at the fornt of it, in a test bay (good tempeture control). Not real conditions. Then they sell them to engines that work in hot/cold climets. It can't be all that good. Some old super chips even made it impoosible to read out the fault codes becasue they coded wrote over that area of the memory map!

For uni chip, see
<a href="http://www.stormengineering.co.uk/" target="_blank">http://www.stormengineering.co.uk/</a>
Alan Knight (Topbuzz)
=======================
W: www.topbuzz.co.uk
E: webmaster@topbuzz.co.uk
=======================
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Tattooman » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:12 am

cheers Alan, top reply as always [img]/smile.gif[/img]
Tattooman