Factory Alarm Problems

Any electrical issues

by obi_v6 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:31 pm

Hi,
I have a 96 V6 and the factory alarm has stopped working. It will not arm, light up or dead Lock the car when you turn the key like it used to. Incidentally it will also not wind up the drivers window when you turn the key to the left. Does any one have an idea of what I can do to sot this out, Fuse's, wiring , disconnecting the battery ?
Thanks in advance.
Obi
obi_v6

by edenwarren » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:34 pm

can't help you as yet, but i have the same prob on 96 V6 except for the locking, thought it was something to do with autoglass replacing the nearside door glass after some git tried stealing it (thank god for deadlocks). but maybe not, still trying to solve it without spending shed loads of cash, will let you know if sucessful. Eden
edenwarren

by obi_v6 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:41 pm

Thanks Eden,
Nice to know its not just me. Do know if there is a fuse for the Alarm in the Fuse box. I can't tell if there is one because I don't know what the symbol should look like? Any one out there know ?
I am think of getting a Thatcham 1 alarm with remote central locking . Its an Autowatch 160RLI for £66 of Ebay . Is this a good deal ?
cheers
Obi
obi_v6

by SteveU » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:35 pm

Check out this thread boys (I'll guarantee that this is your problem):

<a href="http://www.clubcalibra.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1850" target="_blank">http://www.clubcalibra.net/index.php?name=...iewtopic&t=1850</a>
SteveU

Just had an insurance quote on a Turbo

by craigmcd82 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:40 pm

Well posted Steve, I was about to do the same thing.

The problem I had was that a lug had snapped off the brass dog ring, and wasnt pushing the microswitch on its way round.

You can hang on to your barrel to keep the same key, and pretty much replace everything else...

Im sure people will agree that this is an incredibly fiddly job, but possible.

Just take your time, and bear in mind that if I can do it - so can you! [img]/biggrin.gif[/img]

Hope the topic steve pointed you to is of help - Good luck!
craigmcd82

by edenwarren » Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:25 am

will be checking this first tomorrow (after lunch). cheers Eden.
edenwarren

by obi_v6 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:30 pm

Ok. I had a look at the lock again. And it just won't physically go 90 degrees to the left in order to deadlock .. This is slightly different from the problem discribed in the previous post. I will view the lock under the door assembly when I get a chance.
Eden, let us know how you get on...
Thanks for your help.
obi_v6

by SteveU » Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:42 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-obi_v6+--><div class='quotetop'>(obi_v6)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Ok. I had a look at the lock again. And it just won't physically go 90 degrees to the left in order to deadlock .. This is slightly different from the problem discribed in the previous post. I will view the lock under the door assembly when I get a chance.
Eden, let us know how you get on...
Thanks for your help.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A broken deadlock dog ring can give this effect too matey.
SteveU

by Leigh » Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:59 pm

Obi, as SteveU says, the broken dog ring can cause that as well, when mine snapped I came to lock the car and couldn't turn the key fully to the left, I had to stand there jiggling the key around and finally found that by by opening and closing almost in one motion I could lock it (friction / momentum must have been moving the broken part of the ring enough for it to let me turn)

It was so obvious once I looked inside the door at the mechanism, but threw me a bit when it first happened (I thought someone might have had a go at the locks trying to break in, except it had locked perfectly fine 40 minutes earlier when going to lunch..)
Leigh

by craigmcd82 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:29 pm

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am think of getting a Thatcham 1 alarm with remote central locking . Its an Autowatch 160RLI for £66 of Ebay . Is this a good deal ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was quoted £299 to have one of these fitted. So £66 is quite good I think, although if you fit it yourself it wont be cat 1 approved.

Obi, I wouldnt worry too much about whats actually broken on the lock assembley - Replacing it will definitely solve the problem. I changed the whole of the back of the handle including the dog ring and bearing, which I got very cheap from a scrappy (it accidentally fell into my pocket), and the barrel can be replaced for your own to keep the same key.

The tricky part is disconnecting the rods from the back of the handle, and even trickier is reconnecting them! Give yourself a day, or a long afternoon, and take your time.

Took me 3 hours from start to finish to sort mine out (including travelling to the scrapyard and back), and I havent got a clue what im doing [img]/wink.gif[/img]

I shoulda taken pics an made a How to, sounds like a common problem.
craigmcd82

by edenwarren » Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:42 am

Hi obi, sorry I haven't replied but my decided to throw herself down some stairs, so been a bit busy. but will check this out in next couple of days. Eden.
edenwarren

by edenwarren » Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:43 am

that last post should read my nan decided. Eden.
edenwarren