dead sunroof

Any electrical issues

by andy75 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:54 pm

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my sunroof! The electric motor seem's to be working, but the roof will not open. NEW MEMBER
andy75

by pater44 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:26 am

What year is it? Cause i have a 96 v6 and mine packed it in on the one side... Took me and my old man the weekend to take it apart and find out what the problem was... ended up fixing it no probs and now it works better than ever... [img]/smile.gif[/img]
pater44

by jaybv6 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:21 am

Two things to check.
Can you open it manually? Where the button for the sunroof is located should be a sliding cover. Remove this and then insert the manual opener tool which should have come with your car. This should allow you to open the roof manually. Check to see if it opens evenly on either side or if you can hear any wierd noises.

Secondly it could be the motor. What happens when you press the button? Do you hear any kind of motor whirring etc? Have you checked the fuses?
jaybv6

by Smurf » Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:10 am

Could be a few things. I had the same thing with my old '95 SE4. It turned out to be a cable which had snapped, so there wasn't a hope of me repairing it. It's important to know what year your Calibra is as the design changed at about 1995.

The position of the manual opener is located further back, in the middle of the roof, rather than by the button. Behind the interior light there's a small circle - pop that out and try opening it from there manually.

Although it sounds like hard work (it's not), your best bet is to take the roof lining out to get a proper look at the mechanism and the motor. If you have a Haynes manual it'll tell you how to take the roof lining out but it's useless for the sunroof itself.

Below is a pic from the mechanism that was on my 8v (with the motor removed) - it's easy to see where the fault was [img]/smile.gif[/img]

Smurf

by pater44 » Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:19 am

What happened with mine is that the plastic cover that holds the spring cable track into place had snapped... therefore when the motor was running the cables were moving but it was just bowing out and not pushing or pulling the sunroof... In the end i just used some locktite 401 (superstrong glue) and repaired the plastic cover... now my baby works a treat...

But yeah you might wanna take the sunroof out to see what is wrong... its not too hard to do... just start by take the roof lining out... Beleive me its a lot easier than the way i did it first up.. hehe
pater44