Can anyone help - V6 fuel computer

Any electrical issues

by Maverick » Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:28 pm

Hi guys. A longish story made short is...

I got my car valeted yesterday, and when I got in afterwards I noticed that half the display on my clock/temperature was missing :x . I took it all apart this afternoon and whether that is repairable or not I don't know. Anyway, I was thinking of fitting a fuel computer, and thought maybe this is a good time to think about it.

I know there is a technical guide, but that is for 16v. I don't know if or how different it is for a V6. Can you help?

There is a plug that goes into the back of the current unit, and the unit is incredibly easy to get out. Despite access not being quite as easy as in the technical guide, because of the the airbag unit, it SEEMS that my car doesn't have that very conveniently placed big yellow connector :cry: . I may be wrong of course. Does anyone know what the connectors are like on the back of a V6 computer? If it is the same plug as I currently have. My engine is not an ecotech.

Any help with this would be great, otherwise I will have to presumable modify my wiring loom, or stick with the boring old clock which doesn't show you how s**t your MPG is [img]/biggrin.gif[/img] .

Thanks!

Maverick

Saw this and thought of Dan!

by V6_E » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:50 pm

Matt,

The fuel comp guide is valid for all and having an airbag just means its harder to find the plug. The wiring connector is the same coz the only difference on the fuel comp between models is the chip thats inserted into the back of the fuel comp. You can get the chip re-programmed if it comes from a non V6 model. Even though your V6 is 94 on an L plate the yellow plug can be VERY well hidden in some callys.

Cheers,

E
P Reg V6 In Titanium Pearl thats going to be stripped for parts now after being let down on it being bought whole :(

Now in a Crono yellow 2010 Seat Leon Cupra R with all the toys
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Maverick » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:12 am

Thanks for that mate! I will look into it and try to find that yellow plug [img]/biggrin.gif[/img] .
Maverick

by jaybv6 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:15 am

Be warned though as you cannot get a 16v/8v/Turbo fuel comp reprogrammed for a V6. You need to have a specific V6 chip for it. it will work and display but all the calculations will be wrong. V6 fuel comps are rare as Hens Teeth.
jaybv6

by Maverick » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:18 am

Cheers mate. I am gonna keep my eye out for a V6 comp. That way hopefully I just need to find that plug. I'll have another look for that soon.
Maverick

by IanT » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:01 am

Jay,

That isn't strictly true. I reverse engineered the fuel computer and found that they were all the same, with the exception that the Carlton ones update more often. I can reprogramme any computer to work in a V6... [img]/wink.gif[/img]

Ian.
IanT

by Maverick » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:17 pm

You don't have any of these fuel computers for sale do you Ian? I can't remember the depth of your dealings with this sort of thing.

Thanks.
Maverick

by RobbieV » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:52 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-IanT+--><div class='quotetop'>(IanT)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Jay,

That isn't strictly true. I reverse engineered the fuel computer and found that they were all the same, with the exception that the Carlton ones update more often. I can reprogramme any computer to work in a V6... [img]/wink.gif[/img]

Ian.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just to add, mines working fine thanks to Ian [img]/smile.gif[/img]
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Fostersice17 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:11 pm

Tell me about the yellow plug,I am having real trouble finding it,Had my glove box out twice now and still cant find it!!.Yet i have the connector under the handbrake,Every person i have spoke to about this have found their plug in different places,Im gonna have 1 more go then give up :cry:
Fostersice17

gear knob remova

by IanT » Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:17 pm

Normally it's deceptively wrapped up inside the foam insulation with the rest of the loom. Sometimes it's behind the passenger airbag, or down behind the oil / volt gauges etc. Don't give up mate, if you're passing this way I'll give you a hand to look for it.

Ian.
IanT

by IanT » Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:19 pm

Maverick,

I do have some for sale, but only one of them is really very presentable. They would come with whatever programme you need and a switch, temp sensor and whatever bits of loom you'd need to install.

Tell you what, I'll take some pictures and post them up for you to look at later on.

Ian.
IanT

by Maverick » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:17 am

Sorry for the late post... thanks Ian that would be feckin great if you could cheers! Sounds like some people can't find the plug, some people can't find the switch... what a nightmare. You all reckon they're definitely both there though?!

I currently have a temp sensor for my clock/temp unit Ian. There is only one plug that goes into the back of my current unit. I have yet to find the yellow connector and pull apart my centre floor consol and locate the switch. I'll try to have a look again for both on Wed while I'm butchering my car for the washer pump tech guide.

In preparation... my car is a 1994 L 2.5 V6 non Ecotech (despite what the engine cover says). If you can pull something together that would be great! Cheers matie! [img]/biggrin.gif[/img]
Maverick

by Smurf » Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:12 am

Don't want to go off-topic here, but...

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->my car is a 1994 L 2.5 V6 non Ecotech (despite what the engine cover says).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm fairly certain all C25XE engines are the same across the whole range of Cavalier's / Calibra's - it's just the engine cover that changed later to say ECO TEC rather than V6.
Smurf

by Maverick » Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:22 am

You sure smurf? That's sounds a little strange. Mine is supposed to have a redtop cover alledgedly, but the guy before me replaced it with an ecotech cover. I honestly don't know if there was a change in the engine from mine to later models :? .
Maverick

by Smurf » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:38 am

Not 100% sure but it seems strange that the power figures remain the same for the V6 throughout the years whereas they dropped when the 16v became an ECOTEC.

Hopefully someone can put me straight if I'm wrong!
Smurf

Next