Think ive found the 4x4 issue (using a tech 1)

Any electrical issues

by Richiem » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:17 am

The actual fault was code 73 which is told as pressure switch low / pressure under 10 bar..
Now as far as i can see, the pressure should be ok as the acc bulb is brand new and passes the over 20 oumps of brake test very well..
The original switch may of been ok..
When i was starting up and driving , the 4x4 light would come on after around ten mins giving the code 73..
I do have another solonoid spare so i may also try this..
What really doin my head though is the 4x4 worked perfect when i had the bad camber and worn rear tyres fitted!
Seems since i turned the 4x4 of for 3 months and corrected the rears , now its giving me these codes..
Dont make sense this happening as i never touched any of the system
Club Member
Club Member

by Stupink » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:52 am

Sounds like teh wrong code mate, I think its probably more likely your footbrake switch, dont even try to "test" it, as they always appear to work fine, but if you have a spare swap it out, if not go pick one up and swap it over.
73 as far as i know is "73 Car stopped without using brakes from speeds greater than 37mph" so presumably it only thinks brakes arnt used as switch is dufferoo. could be wiring of course i suppose. (twin pole switch so brakelights work seperately, also brakeswitch usually seems to function ok on a multimeter but can still give codes)
Toyota Mr-2 roadster turbo
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Richiem » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:51 pm

Sorry guys , my head is all over the place, its code 74 not 73..
Club Member
Club Member

by Stupink » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:25 am

Ahh.. well that one is low pas as you say then yeh,
Is the sensor on the accumulator circuit or the pas supply circuit? I can't remember... perhaps if you have a slack pas belt or dying pump you may occasionally be dropping below 10bar and setting the sensor but still getting your whooshes overall? but then on a late setup its wide belt isnt it :-s so only really dying pump or airlocks would be plausable, belts either on or snapped..
Do you ever notice any noises from the pump? or suffer stiff steering momentarily?
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Richiem » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:51 am

Will check this one out stupink..
This is a new one i havent been made aware of yet.
Thanxs
Club Member
Club Member

by Richiem » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:28 pm

The sensor for the pressure on the 4x4 system is on the back of the acc block ( 24mm bolt with 2 pins)
Club Member
Club Member

by Stupink » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:37 pm

so its definately pressure after the accumulator not before? I can picture where abouts it is, but can't picture where the inlet pipes are etc... it would make sense though really that it only read the accumulator pressure.

Is that sensor default connected or broken on 10+bar?? maybe its just a simple break or short in the wiring to the sensor?
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Richiem » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:46 pm

Since i put the spare sensor on, the 4x4 light stays on all the time .

Before with the original switch it stayed on whilst the car was stationary, but failed after about 15mins of driving/
If i reset the 4x4 it would light up again after another 15mins down the road..
Its like something was either heating up the bx or a sensor was tripping out,
Club Member
Club Member

by Richiem » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:48 pm

Just spoke to rich at cav16

He`s thinking the issue i have is most likely a earthing fault from a damaged wire somewere rather than a faulty switch..
Just git a new pressure switch from autovaux for (£50) so ill try that, but it seems the accumilator pressure seems ok as its wooshing to spec!
Will by the switch anyhow cos even if its not the fault, there no longer av from vaux anywere so its a good stock item.. 8)

Ive been advised to check the pressure switch wires for poss damage..
Club Member
Club Member

by Richiem » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:46 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi guys..

Been on the phone with brian from vts today, and he advised me to do a multimeter check on the solonoid..
He said i should of got around 8- 9 ohms on the meter , but i got 00..
Looks like its the fault ive been trying to source..
Ive got another solonoid block the ive tested and cleaned up ready to fit tommorrow..
I hope its the end of this now, as its been doin my nut in for weeks
Club Member
Club Member

Previous