electrical short

Any electrical issues

electrical short

by yorkshirevaux » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:30 pm

i have a calibra with a turbo transplant, i opened the window while being towed and something went pop and now theres no dash lights or life of any kind, somethings were disconnected while i did it but i was wondering if there is anyway of using the fault code method to find out where the fault is or does the car have to have power to do this
yorkshirevaux

Re: electrical short

by Stupink » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:31 pm

I feel I must ask if you've checked the fuses? as they make a pop sound when they go. and if i'm entirely honest, i've overlooked them in the past also assuming the worst lol.
Toyota Mr-2 roadster turbo
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by yorkshirevaux » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:59 am

Stupink wrote:I feel I must ask if you've checked the fuses? as they make a pop sound when they go. and if i'm entirely honest, i've overlooked them in the past also assuming the worst lol.

i removed all the fuses one at a time and checked them visually, they all looked intact
yorkshirevaux

by Stupink » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:08 pm

I've removed your double post.

Visual checks for high amp fuses do normally show enough, but its possible they can blow and "look" okay, so i would check all relevant ones with a multimeter, there are a few hiding behind the dashboard but im not sure what they are all for..

theres no way to use the fault codes as theres no power to the dashboard(not that it would work anyway for this sort of thing)

you need to trace the power line, so start at the ignition barrel perhaps, with a multimeter/test light and follow it to the fuseboards and try to work out where there is/isnt power..

if you dont want to do that, what does/doesnt work exactly? as big/small as they may be it could help someone locate it for you. interior fans? radio? headlights? i dont know much of the circuit off hand, i normally just have a good nose about and work it out as i go for this sort of thing.

Why was it being towed in the first place? any relevance?
Toyota Mr-2 roadster turbo
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by yorkshirevaux » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:20 am

i don't think anythging works but i havent checked things like fans and exterior lights, me and my girlfriend replaced the cylinder head and connected most of the wires using the if it reaches and fits it probably goes there method but some of the wires we couldn't figure out where to put them, so there was some un connected wires under the bonnet
yorkshirevaux