brake pad light on dash on, due to new pad change HELP !!!

Any electrical issues

by mark.v6 » Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:53 pm

Hi All,

I've just changed the disc's and pads on a V6 cally.

There was no where for the wire (pad sensor) to go into the new brake pad, so I just unpluged the wire.

Now there is a light came on the dash ( wheel with dotted lines around ) !

Can i just link the sensor cable out so the light turns off ??
mark.v6

Dizzy

by Naz » Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:21 pm

Hi Mark

So are you saying the new pads didn;t have a slot for the new pad? you sure you got the right ones?

As for shorting out the connetors, what happens if you just plug the sensor in and then zip tie it somewhere out the way, like to the strut or something?

I tihnk the way they work, is you have to short out one of the ocntacts to the earth and that will put the light out.

Saying that i have replaced mine with racing pads and they didn;t come with pad sensors, so i left the connectors off and the light doesn;t come on!
Naz

by Smurf » Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:32 pm

I did this the other week and disconnected the cable but have had no warning lamp.
Smurf

by mark.v6 » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:14 pm

bugger !

Would try putting the sensors back on but I think they have been bin with the old pads.

Is the light a pad warning light or is it for something else ?
mark.v6

by Robert_Dale » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:21 pm

The light is a warning to basically say that the pad is low - if you short the wire and then tie wrap the plug out the way that will be fine mate.

It shouldn't really come on as it only gets a connection once the pad is worn (theres a slight bit of metal that touches to activate the sensor)

I would try that first mate, failing that simply take the bulb out.

Rob
Robert_Dale

by IanW » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:47 pm

The sensors are avaliable seperatly, I bought a set for about £12 when i had a set of pads fitted to my LET just before i sold it.
IanW

by DBV6 » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:19 am

if i remember correctly the two wires in the plug are joined to form a loop round the brass button in the pad, when the button wears through the loop of wire is cut and the light comes on, just connect the 2 ends in the plug together
DBV6