altanator'ssss ! grrrr

Any electrical issues

altanator'ssss ! grrrr

by stu89 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:26 pm

just wondering if u can help me figure somthin out. i got a 1996 calibra ecotech with air con, and the altanator went the other day. they sent me a 70amp one which was the same as the one that was on it. But if i load it up whilst running ie. heated seat, heated window and mirrors + lights and that, It makes the battery light faintly glow and volt gauge drop to like 10 volts + the idle speed changes (revving its self). they gave me a choice of a 70amp or 120amp. but the one that was on there was a second hand one because its got calibra wrote on it, so i fort someone could have put the wrong one on it in the first place. ive put new earth straps on the engine and it never helped. Any ideas??????

cheers stu.
stu89

Re: altanator'ssss ! grrrr

by RobbieV » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:30 pm

70amp Alt is the correct one for your car, as for the loading i get the same with mine which i think is normal.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by stu89 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:02 pm

o right. thanks
stu89

by vaggelis00 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:18 am

i have the same problem. i am using a new 120amp alternator but when everything is on the red battery light starting to glow a little. i would appreciate if somebody can give a solution to this problem
vaggelis00

by vaggelis00 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:16 am

finally i solved my problem with low volts. it was an earth wire just under the distributor that goes to the chassis :). now the car is running cooler and it has more power
vaggelis00

by phenoxymethyl » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:23 am

I ahd same with my last car, headache!
phenoxymethyl