what battery?

Any electrical issues

what battery?

by big_gordy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:16 pm

thought i would ask what battery would you recomend for a v6 ? what is the standard type? and what is a good uprated 1 if you plan to run alot of amps etc?

i have uprated the ault from standard too :think:
Best Presented Billing 2007 Green V6 Auto

SE9 V6 Duel Fuel LPG aka THE RED DEVIL
Tigra Chequers 1.6 - # 2 Car
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Re: what battery?

by Fraz » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:34 pm

it would depend on how many amps you plan on running and their current draw ..so best list exactly what your fitting and what size (as in output)

and what have you you done to your alternator??
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Adrian » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:49 pm

Standard is 65AH. Wouldn't think there's much more room for a higher capacity. You won't get any extra appreciable running time from anything that fits in the engine bay.

However, if you've been running flat your existing battery then it's most likely lost its capacity to hold a decent charge. Lead Acid batteries have two main weaknesses - not working well in the cold and having their internal resistance go up after being discharged too far. It's pretty hard not to bump into these problems sooner or later.

It could well be that all you need to do is invest in a brand new battery to the original spec. and make sure you don't ever discharge it too far. I've got an automatic trip that disconnects all my ancilliary loads when the voltage drops below 11.4V
Adrian

by v6 steve » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:34 pm

if your going to do it propay why not put an other battery in the boot, im sure some good looking guy with a white cally has done that :wink:
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Calibra_Mike » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:21 am

a bit off topic but related in a way... I have about 6 batteries sat in my garage, they have all just been sat around for years, one for at least 8 years i would say... I take it they are all pretty much had it now then? some were charged up before being stored but im guessing they would have drained dead by now? correct?

on topic... If you're looking for longer running, look into gel batteries...
VXT RACING DEVELOPMENTS - Designed by Vauxhall... Modified by Me...
The VXT Calibra, back on the road Oct'13... the Adventure Continues...
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Adrian » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:22 am

Calibra_Mike wrote:a bit off topic but related in a way... I have about 6 batteries sat in my garage, they have all just been sat around for years, one for at least 8 years i would say... I take it they are all pretty much had it now then? some were charged up before being stored but im guessing they would have drained dead by now? correct?

on topic... If you're looking for longer running, look into gel batteries...

Simple really, the terminal volts you've got now will be a fair guide to their condition. Any that show nearly 12 or more volts should be fine after a good charge. Any that are below 9V or so are almost certainly a lost cause. Inbetweeners may come back with tlc. Charging at least once a year is recommended for batteries in storage, but you don't just throw 'em away because they've not been maintained. The issue is how much charge you can get into and out of the battery. If you put a flat car battery on a smallish charger with some kind of meter and see the meter come up to full in less than an hour then it's not taken much charge and consequently can't give much back when required.

Seeing as how pricey batteries are getting, I would always do a simple capacity test before ditching a battery: top-up the cells with distilled water, charge until charger says full or bubbling is heard. Then attach a 21Watt brake lamp to get approx. 2A load. Then time it to see how long it takes to get down to 11V or so. A 60AH battery should in theory deliver 2A for 30 hours before discharging the battery. I'd consider 24Hours a great success :dance:

Gel batteries are subject to all the same rules and will die just as easily if flattened. Never could see much advantage in a car.
Adrian

by big_gordy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:54 am

what is the actual size of the batteries ?ie dimentions and type :shhh: :think:
Best Presented Billing 2007 Green V6 Auto

SE9 V6 Duel Fuel LPG aka THE RED DEVIL
Tigra Chequers 1.6 - # 2 Car
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Fraz » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:06 pm

big_gordy wrote:what is the actual size of the batteries ?ie dimentions and type :shhh: :think:

which one ???
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by stevo turbo » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:23 pm

as v6steve said just use a second battery in the boot hidden behind the install, i was running 4000w rms as full pelt with no problems. i did put a 40 amp relay in the connecting of the two batterys (the switch for the relay was mounted in my dash) so i could charge them both when driving or when parked up with engine off all it used was the second battery (apart from the head unit)

used it once or twice to jump start the car- nice liite trick when someone is laughuing at you for flattening your battery :D

this is what i was running
Club Member
Club Member

by BazV6er » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:50 am

i recently bought a varta battery for 63 pounds inc vat from my local motor factors and that was slightly smaller than original but it has great starting power and is a heavy duty one too and has some sort of technology in it and battery life will only last about 3 years as my other one was over 4 years old

http://www.varta-automotive.com/index.php?id=99
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net