Alternator Dash Light

Any electrical issues

by cwaigy » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:31 pm

My alternator decided to stop working last night when I was driving home, although when it went it took the alternator dash light with it as well. When it first stopped working the alternator light came on the dash, but it was getting brighter the more I revved the engine so it sounds like it got slightly too many volts and popped the light.

I'm getting the alternator changed on Monday morning, but just wondering how much of a pain it's going to be to change the dash light? Is it something I should be able to have a go at myself?

Cheers
Craig
cwaigy

The Lake District

by Admin » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:36 pm

It is pretty simple to chenge, it is more fiddly removing the instrument panel, if you have not done it before it will probably take you 35/40 minutes to remove it if you take care. Then a similar time to put it back also, the changing of the bulb is a job that takes a couple of seconds.
Admin

by Smurf » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:43 pm

Getting the dash covers off is the easy but, getting the dash out is very awkward...

When my alternator light needed replacing I just got the dash out far enough to get my hand in and swap it out that way - it saved a lot of hassle.
Smurf

by cwaigy » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:45 pm

Well, got my alternator replaced, turns out it was overcharging which is why it took the bulb with it! It also cooked the battery too so I'm not impressed as it's just cost me a tidy amount to get it sorted.

Just the alternator light to sort out now behind the dash. The only thing is I can't for the life of me remember what post it was in, whether it was on here or MIG but I read that the alternator doesn't always kick in unless the alternator dash light is working. I might be imagining it though, but anyone know if there's any truth to that?

Reason being as I've got a voltage gauge, the dash light isn't high on my list of priorities to get sorted at the moment as the voltage gauge provides enough information to know what's going on.

Cheers
Craig
cwaigy

by RobbieV » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:13 pm

I would sort out the alternator bulb asap as it lets you know if your battery is charging, ie if it lights up when driving your battery aint being charged, i believe its part of the alternator circuit.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by cwaigy » Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:46 pm

I've got the volt gauge in the centre console so I was going to use that as a gauge as to whether the alternator is working by making sure the voltage is around 14 volts. The only thing is if the bulb is part of the charging circuit then presumably the battery ain't going to get charged!

I wouldn't mind but I took my car to VX for the new alternator and battery and told them the alternator light had blown and they haven't done anything about it!

Craig
cwaigy

by Smurf » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:12 pm

Craig,

You're correct. When I first bought my V6 the alternator dash light had already blown and as such the alternator wouldn't start charging unless I revved to 3000rpm first. After that it was ok for the rest of the journey.

Once the bulb was replaced all was fine and has been since.
Smurf

by cwaigy » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:08 pm

Smurf, spot on. I have to rev my engine to 3000rpm to get the alternator to start. Once it's kicked into life it's fine for the duration of the journey. Probably have to take it back to VX again to have the bulb replaced as I know I'd end up messing something up if I tried to do it myself!

Just as a note for anyone who's taken the dash out before to get at the bulbs, does the steering wheel have to be removed first, it's an airbag one so looks like it'll be quite awkward to get at the dash with the wheel in the way!

Craig
cwaigy

by Smurf » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:28 pm

Craig,

Don't take it to Vauxhall - they'll charge a packet to replace the bulb! The wheel doesn't have to come off, just the plastic surrounds on the column. It really is quite straight forward so it's worth giving it a shot. Just follow the Haynes manual and you can't go wrong.

Failing that if you're going to Billing next month then I'll put it in for you if you supply the bulb. Just don't take it to Vauxhall!
Smurf

by cwaigy » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:04 am

Okay, anyone got the part number for the alternator dash bulb? I'm not sure if it's different depending on the engine but its an X20XEV.

Cheers
Craig
cwaigy

calibra convertable?

by Smurf » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:49 am

Should be the same throughout the range I would have thought. Do you have EPC? Check on there if you do otherwise I'll try and take a look for you later.

I would advise you to get it from Vauxhall though (or someone who knows the correct rating)... When I had the 8v I had to replace it and I bought a bulb from a retail outlet. Once it was fitted and I turned off the ignition I got run-on every time. It was quite bizarre. I can only think the bulb supplied was of the wrong rating. Once replaced with a bulb from Vaux the run-on never happened again.

Oh and you obviously won't need a new holder.
Smurf

by cwaigy » Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:54 pm

Afraid I don't have access to EPC so if you could look it up when you get the chance I'd be most grateful! Just got to study me Haynes manual tonight to make sure I'm feeling brave enough to attempt it!

Cheers
Craig
cwaigy

by Smurf » Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:52 pm

Just found this as well which should help you:

<a href="http://www.clubcalibra.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=16&page=1" target="_blank">http://www.clubcalibra.net/modules.php?op=...artid=16&page=1</a>
Smurf

by cwaigy » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:45 pm

That looks nice and useful. Is it a good idea to disconnect the battery first as I've got an airbag and I'm a bit worried that messing around taking the steering wheel cowling off could trigger it!

Cheers
Craig
cwaigy

by Smurf » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:55 pm

I've never bothered but for the added piece of mind you might want to I guess.
Smurf

Next