C20LET voltage drop

Any electrical issues

C20LET voltage drop

by webboy » Thu May 17, 2012 4:01 pm

Hi guys,

In the last couple of weeks I've noticed that sometimes the alternator light on the dash board comes on... it's barely glowing and it's only noticeable sometimes when it's dark outside, so I assumed there's a problem in alternator charging.

I've checked the belts & rollers and everything is pretty much tighten and in place.

I measured the voltage with voltage meters on the battery + and -:

~12.7V - without ignition on (no key in the lock)
~13.8V - engine running with no additional power consumers on
~13.1V - engine running with all possible consumers on (A/C, ventilators, all lights, cd player.. etc)

I had another stock alternator in reserve, so I replaced the unit. No changes at all :(

Then I noticed something strange during the start up process, I've tried it several times and the results are always the same, readings are from the factory voltage meter that came with the car.

- Ignition on = 12.7V
- clutch and brake pedal pushed = 11.8V (significant voltage drop when brake pedal is pressed... dunno why, all it does is powering the brake lights on)
- engine start = 14.2V (this seems to be fine, alternator should charge the battery with more than 14V)
- brake pedal released = 13.5V (This is what concerns me.... A significant voltage drop when brake pedal is released).

Now, I know that releasing the brake pedal after starting the engine will engage the AWD (4x4), but hey... is it possible cause for more than 0.5V drop ?????
I'll inspect the 4x4 wiring for a possible short circuit (however, I believe the fuse would blow if there is a short circuit), but in the meantime, does any of you guys know what else (except the AWD wiring) could be the problem?

My cally is MY96 and completely stock, no additional modifications were made.
webboy

Re: C20LET voltage drop

by Stupink » Thu May 17, 2012 8:24 pm

If its barely glowing, and still producing over static voltage when fully loaded dont worry about it.
the wiring is pants, and its just a false glow, happens on every cally i've ever had.
Toyota Mr-2 roadster turbo
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net