dials

Any electrical issues

iam back

by Taz » Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:01 pm

Centre dials
My centre battery and oil dials have not worked for a while, the light comes on faintly when the key is one turned, then they go off when the key is turned all the way. There are no readings at all tho. I asked the guy at masterfit when i took my car to get serviced and he told my to take the ignition barrel out and smell it to see if it smelt burnt, it coould be that.
I am still unclear, does anyone know what he could be talking about and clerify it for me please

engine temp dial
It has a mind of its own and works when it wants to (99% of the time it doesnt want to). When i got caught in that blizzard on the M25 a couple of weeks ago, it started to work for a few hours until i got home. I think the could temprature outside affects it some how.

Does anyone have any idea of what is up with it?
Taz

by Fraz » Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:44 pm

[quote="Taz"]Centre dials

take the centre dials out and check the plug on the rear of it has been fitted nice and tight ..if you have a test light check to see if your getting a live and an earth as it sounds like one of them is not right

engine temp dial

the temp sender wire is more than likely to have corroded or the wire is broken
you never said what engine you have and the location of the sender varies form engine to engine type
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Taz » Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:35 pm

I've checked the wire for the centre dials a million times. They used to work fine and then one time when i looked at them they were not working. Shortly before I noticed I was fidddling with the wire in the back of them out of boredom, just dissconnected it a few times and reconnected it. I do not know if they stopped working straight away after doing this.

The engine I have is 2L 8v (SE6)
Taz

by Fraz » Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:16 pm

ok so maybe you have bent the small pins in the rear of the gauges where the plug goes

but you will still have to find out if the connector is receiving both 12v and an earth. You will find the connections from the attached diagram, got a simple test light and probe the corresponding connection pin with the ignition on and see if your have 12 first then check the earth,if you have both fine then start thinking gauges are faulty

once you have established which of the feeds your NOT getting then its a matter of finding where these feeds come from
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Illuminated (With LED's) heater bit

by Taz » Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:29 pm

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You will find the connections from the attached diagram, got a simple test light and probe the corresponding connection pin with the ignition on and see if your have 12<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For a test ligt, do i just need a 12V LED and some wires? How do i test the earth?

Thanks for your help BTW
Taz

ALLOY WHEELS!!!! NOOOOOOO (STOCKTON? REFURB?) URGENT...!!

by Fraz » Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:27 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Taz+--><div class='quotetop'>(Taz)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You will find the connections from the attached diagram, got a simple test light and probe the corresponding connection pin with the ignition on and see if your have 12<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For a test ligt, do i just need a 12V LED and some wires? How do i test the earth?

Thanks for your help BTW<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

can make a chaep test light with a 12v bulb...but you can buy a cheap one at motor shops ...how o test the earth is simple

just reverse the leads ...put a 12v supply to test light and when you touch an earth the test light or bulb will work
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net