Vauxhall Calibra ABS ECU

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

by IanW » Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:08 pm

Ian,

I have just checked 'the donor' [img]/wink.gif[/img] and it as a BA ABS modulator on it, if you want to remove it then you can have it.

Ian
IanW

New wheels for me too!

by splinter » Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:14 pm

Thanks Ian, but mine has BB on it, will the BA one work??????
I get blown by Twins everyday !!!!

The old skyline gtr felt exciting even when it was in a car wash !!!!! :)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by IanW » Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:20 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-splinter+--><div class='quotetop'>(splinter)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Thanks Ian, but mine has BB on it, will the BA one work??????<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well according to your post on the other [urm=http://www.clubcalibra.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1561]thread[/url] yours has BA on it :-

<!--QuoteBegin-splinter+--><div class='quotetop'>(splinter)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Ohh right well mine says BA, so it wont fit ohh well<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So it would fit and should work as it work last time I knew.
IanW

by Topbuzz » Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:14 pm

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was leaning towards "bad connection" for quite a while as it only seems to happen turning left, and once after a bad pothole.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agree, proably a bad connection or the fault I had, broken wire within the ABS sensor loom.

But for the time being, do simply checks first. As mentend, remove the road wheel, locate the ABS sensor connector under the wheel arch (2-pin connecotr), disconnect, clean out with old tooth bruch and clean contacts with contact cleaner. Reconnect. Make sure the conneoctr mates with the pins, not lose or wobbles etc, its only held on with a clip and it can break off.

I couldn't remove the ABS sensor from out of its 'bracket' behind the hub, so I had my DVM with me and buzzed out from the pin in the ABS sensor connector and japped the probe in several places in the loom. I was lucky and found it half way up, a broken wire when its wiggled about a bit. I cut the offending 'break' in the loom, stripped, tinned and twisted the 2 wires back again and sealed up with heatshrink. Problem solved and £50 saved (cost of new ABs sensor from VX).

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ok , Will the abs not work at all if one of the sensors are broken?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thats right, if there is a problem with the ABS, and the ABS light is aloways on (check there is a bulb there and/not blown like mine), then the ABS system is inhibited and your back to normal brakes (so carful on the wet and ice).

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But my mate came round with the tec 1, and my car wont read falt codes??? Something wrong there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He should at least got a code 12 there. There were two 'types' of ABS system fitted tot he Calibra models, something like ABS-SE and ABS-SEH (read it seomwhere in the haynes book). As far a si know, both types support 'flash codes' by the ABS bulb on the dash. Check for bad connection on the ALDL test connector and ensure the pin is there (ie pin K).
Alan Knight (Topbuzz)
=======================
W: www.topbuzz.co.uk
E: webmaster@topbuzz.co.uk
=======================
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Previous