Painting Shocks/Springs

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Painting Shocks/Springs

by KERR_SE9 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:04 pm

Please move mods if better suited elsewhere

Hi all, Im striping down the underside of my turbo and painting/undersealing it all, Im wondering whats the best approach to clean/paint shocks/springs, The theyre not that old but I want them looking like new, Any suggestions? I was thinking dremel then paint, (Assuming shot blasting is out of the question)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Re: Painting Shocks/Springs

by KERR_SE9 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:22 pm

Theyre not bad just a couple of bubbles, Shocks are only 3 -4 years old and probs only done 12K if lucky
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Fraz » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:44 pm

KERR_SE9 wrote:Please move mods if better suited elsewhere

or are you not better actually posting in the correct section...it ain't rocket science
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by KERR_SE9 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:08 pm

Why do people feel the need to be so sarcastic, I realise Ive only paid membership for two years, I have been on here for 4! Only a select few get the required response, I appreciate help in the past, It's my opinion however if you're not in a select group then no-one bothers. Think it's time to move to .com

In future Ill keep questions/comments to myself!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by v6 steve » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:18 pm

KERR_SE9 wrote:Why do people feel the need to be so sarcastic, I realise Ive only paid membership for two years, I have been on here for 4! Only a select few get the required response, I appreciate help in the past, It's my opinion however if you're not in a select group then no-one bothers. Think it's time to move to .com

????????????????????//

when you say shocks do you mean the insert or the whole strut, it used a wire brush on the grinder then painted with smoothwright as for the srings i think paint would just crack mine are powdercoated they came that way
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by KERR_SE9 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:23 pm

Thanks steve, Initially the rear shocks, but will be doing the fronts including strut/inserts etc.
Don't want the expense of replacing, just wan't them to look cleaner and be better protected from the elements.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by v6 steve » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:25 pm

i would clean them up and use some of that rust tretment stuff then paint that wont do any harm mate
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by KERR_SE9 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:28 pm

Thanks, thats what I thought, Ideally I'd like to shot blast and powder coat, but shot blasting shockies, I'd imagine would be dangerous!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by KERR_SE9 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:42 pm

How do you mean personel issues? Have I taken offence where I shouldn't have
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by KERR_SE9 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:17 pm

Ok, well my apologies for getting my back up, but I can honestly say anytime I post theres more sarcastic answers than help,yourself excluded as you helped me out with the tubby
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Fraz » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:45 pm

KERR_SE9 wrote:Why do people feel the need to be so sarcastic, I realise Ive only paid membership for two years, I have been on here for 4! Only a select few get the required response, I appreciate help in the past, It's my opinion however if you're not in a select group then no-one bothers. Think it's time to move to .com

what on earth are you on about??? your annoyed because you get a reply or your having a dig at me!!!! so your blaming the site cause you cant post in the right section
:banging: :banging: :banging:
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by bodgetastic » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:06 pm

Springs are powder coated from the factory so I dont see a big problem in having them sand blasted and re powder coated. Dont quote me on that though and I would be the first to buy new before doing that. I would then clean up the rest and give it a good couple of coats of smoothrite.

I used POR15 for undersealing the car which is pretty good although there are lots of things on the market to either paint or spray on. Worth having a look on the frost website.
More power than God
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

by the painter » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:25 pm

Fraz wrote:
KERR_SE9 wrote:Please move mods if better suited elsewhere

or are you not better actually posting in the correct section...it ain't rocket science

I believe it was this that did it.

Bodgetastic is pretty much on the money, for the shocks, wire brush and smoothrite, it will cover , protect and is very durable, it can even be thinned out and sprayed.
the painter

by Fraz » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:31 pm

I know it was that...but that is absolutely nothing to do with what he is going on about
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by KERR_SE9 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:36 pm

Thanks bodge, I'll wire brush and paint, that's what I had planned anyway, Will replace next year sometime, as functionally theres nothing wrong, just some surface corrosion.

The point I was making, was more often than not I get sarcasm rather than helpfull information, unless it is certain people asking the questions! No offence intended Fraz, was merely making an observation.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Next