Calibra Turbo 4x4 300bhp - What clutch is best out of these?

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Calibra Turbo 4x4 300bhp - What clutch is best out of these?

by Robs Calibra » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:14 pm

Hi

Just wondering what clutch is best for Calibra Turbo 4x4 running 300bhp. Courtenay said to me the Helix Organic Fast road which is £380 on Ebay I see. However I also see these other 2 clutches on Ebay. Let me know what you think and if you have used them before, if so how good are they, what power can they taker bhp/torque as there is a big differnece in price from the Helix:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PERFORMANCE-ORGAN ... 56409c75b2

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-CALIBRA- ... 3a60ec951e
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Re: Calibra Turbo 4x4 300bhp - What clutch is best out of th

by Robs Calibra » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:43 pm

Anyone using a Helix Organic Clutch - any reviews would be great. I am running 305bhp with 329Ib torque.

I saw techniclutch on Ebay but have seen bad reviews on these even though they stated to me today it will handle 340bhp and 385nm.

I have a courtenay uprated clutch which is sachs which is very good, but soon as you launch and clutch gets hot, it slips until cooled down and I really dont want a paddle clutch. Any recommendations.

BTW, this is what Techniclutch came back with When I asked them if there clutch would handle my power/torque as well as the Helix Organic clutch:

"No, your torque is the killer. The Helix organic unit is rated well under that so we would not recommend it either. If you want the best copromise between power, drivability and price then we would recommend going for a Greenspeed carbon kevlar clutch; we can supply it for £265 including delivery"

Anyone heard of this clutch?
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Stupink » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:28 pm

320lbft isnt too crazy, but i would avoid anything but known makes. go for a paddle if you're going to kick its ***.. they are ok to drive don't believe what you are told.. multiplate clutches are very snappy but paddle are fine if you can drive :)
Toyota Mr-2 roadster turbo
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Robs Calibra » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:00 pm

Being 4x4 I hear the Helix Organic will not really take it being 4x4. Lets say I launch the car, not everyday just every now and then, the Helix I believe would not take that heat and then it will slip until cooled down.

I am looking to get one custom made by Kestrel Transmission. Had a long chat with them and they can make one which will take the power etc and its made from Kevlat material imported from the states I believe. They also state it will last 3 times the standard oe clutch.

Have you heard of them?

I am sure Helix Organic would be ok, but it would probably not last long.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by matty0785 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:21 am

i fitted a helix 4 paddle clutch to my 2wd turbo with almost the same figures as yours has mine is slightly lower and iv gotta say its very impressive but its a nightmare in heavy traffic due to being a paddle type clutch

so if your mainly an open road driver go for it but if you spend most of your days in the city or busy traffic its a pain in the backside
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by LE16 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:39 pm

OK I can help here...

I bought a clutch from Techniclutch....

They are reconditioned clutches for a start (hense the price)

My center plate was too proud and wouldnt allow me to engaged gear.

So I measured and it was 5ml to close to the release bearing.....

Techniclutch asked for my original driven plate which had one month usage and then they re-manufactured it. They sent back only one driven plate and had used brake cleaner to clean off the "national clutch" logo which was blatant AS!!

Anyway it's ok now but I would NEVER pay £150 for a clutch of eBay. If you want genuine parts do yourself a favour and just go to Courtenay Sport. I wish I had..

Otherwise the clutch is ok....Just annoyed that I had to take the box off AGAIN!

Techniclutch were very helpful.
Sean

SE5 Turbo
LE 07
LE 16
Turbo
Another Turbo
Se7
V6
16V
8v
Club Member
Club Member

by Vxlgsi » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:53 pm

Its part of my job to spec clutches for race engines in all mannor of forms..... My company work closely with helix and i can supply their clutches, you need a 6 paddle cerametalic, they are not cheap but its the only way it will take the punnishment and the heat with out falling appart. I know guys running these with 400+bhp!!

They are hand made and tested individually, ignore the ************ about what its made from, helix clutches have carbon and kevlar in them, its normal and they dont rant about it or paint the clutch cover a stupid colour to get your attention, its just sales ************!

IMO there isnt a clutch as good as the cerametalic 6 paddle Helix, and trust me i have looked!
Vxlgsi

by bodgetastic » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:29 am

Im running a Helix 6 paddle, could do with a couple of spares too :lol:
More power than God
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

by Vxlgsi » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:28 pm

£100 discount per clutch :lol:
Vxlgsi

by Vxlgsi » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:17 pm

would it be better if i told you the best price first?
Vxlgsi

by v6 steve » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:20 pm

Vxlgsi wrote:£100 discount per clutch :lol:

Discount :think: i thought that was the price and we'v moved on now

1 v6 steve ......2 :roll:
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Robs Calibra » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:56 pm

my courtenay uprated clutch is fine now, it seems to be gripping whatever the abuse which is good, maybe it was the bedding in process as it seems good.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by spoon » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:20 pm

Helix is the better clutch of the two I think, avoid luk clutches!!!
spoon

Next