Bleeding Brakes on Calibra Turbo

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Bleeding Brakes on Calibra Turbo

by Robs Calibra » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:12 pm

I went to quick fit today to have my brakes bled, but they said its not worth doing on my car as bleeding it will most likely blow the seals in the master cylinder. They recommended me to get a new master cylinder and then they will bleed the brakes.

Can someone please advise wheather this is true or not? They did have a proper bleeding kit, but they said they would not want to be putting that much pressure through the seals as they most likely will blow.

Where is the best price to get a master cylinder from. I am not paying vauxhall £485 which is what they quoted. Not bothered if aftermarket one as long as its a good one.

Rob
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Re: Bleeding Brakes on Calibra Turbo

by Callyman » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:19 pm

If you mean they didn't want to bleed them by pressurising the res', then why wouldn't they do it manually the 'old' way using the pedal?
Details on how to join the club---Click me
Club Memberships
Club Memberships

by Fraz » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:42 pm

how would it blow the seals ..most of the pressure bleeders work around 20 psi at most

do it yourself get one of them easi bleed kits

ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Callyman » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:54 pm

Ive got that Kit Fraz and like you say I'm sure it says in the instructions to use the pressure from a spare wheel/tyre after dropping the pressure to 20psi.
Details on how to join the club---Click me
Club Memberships
Club Memberships

by Robs Calibra » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:11 pm

I don't know but vauxhall said whatever u do do not bleed brakes old way as will blow seals in master cylinder. Vauxhall do not have a kit , they said try quick fit and quick fit said that so now confused not sure what to do.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Fraz » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:19 pm

So Vauxhall are saying do not bleed the brakes by getting someone to pump the brake pedal while someone opens the bleed nipple to get rid of air in the system

Have bled brake on a turbo using both methods and never blown any seals...if they did go by simply pumping the brake pedal to bleed the air out, I would rather they did go at that point rather than going down the road and pressing the brakes to have the seal fail while i had to do an emergency stop
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by stevo turbo » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:23 pm

bled mine last year after it sat for 4 years and did it a 2 bar with our proper bleeder at work and no problems what so ever, i would say just get them bled and as fraz said if its goign to go wrong its better there than on the road.
Club Member
Club Member

by v6 steve » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:57 pm

what a load of b******* i would say that if the master cylinder can take the pressure of my 18 stone pushing on the pedal at the mot then it will take the pressure when its being bled but as other are saying buy any easy bleed and save yourself the gref/money r get a mate to help
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by GreyDJ » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:00 pm

The only time I have seen the seals go is when new pads are fitted and the pistons are pushed back in the callipers without taking the cap off the master cylinder.

I've been bleeding what is basically the same as a Calibra master cylinder in Cavaliers etc since 1984 both by foot pressure and the Easi Bleed kit and never had a problem.
Cavalier CDi 96 Grey
Cavalier SRi 93 Satin Red
Cavalier Mk2 CD130 86 White
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Robs-se » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:23 pm

Did mine with an easy bleed after replacing rear calipres and the master cylinder and i have four pots on the front so four bleed nipples, two each calipre and no problems.
As for £400+ for a master cylinder is b*llocks, mine cost around £50 from local factors. maybe they were trying to sell you the brake servo and the cylinder and resevoir as one unit and its easy to fit as well.
Nothing succeeds like a budgie with nae teeth

Up the Hibs!!

Now with added Vectra VXR power

Now calibraless
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net