Front Rides LOOWW After Saab Engine Swap - V6 Front Springs?

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Front Rides LOOWW After Saab Engine Swap - V6 Front Springs?

by Miscbrah » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:15 pm

Hi gang - might have seen already that Dan, Andy and I have been tinkering these past few months! Got a Saab B204E engine in the Calibra now in place of the old 8v. :)

Now, the SE5 I would swear BLIND on the EYES OF MY CHILDREN came from the factory with the red Irmscher lower springs. That right? I'm so certain it did.

In any case though, this low suspension, coupled with the +/-165kg engine which replaced the stock +/-120kg C20NE means the front rides a little low now, and the tyres do connect the wheel arch liner a touch on heavy bumps.

I was pondering using stock V6 springs on the front to combat this. The v6 engine itself is +/-170kg iirc.

Just wondered if my thinking was sound and this was a sensible thing to do. Thanks for any help. :)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Re: Front Rides LOOWW After Saab Engine Swap - V6 Front Spri

by DanSE4 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:58 pm

If the front springs are indeed still the factory ones (I'm still not convinced being that they are red coated, as far as I know even the irmy factory ones were still black) then for one you're running around on nigh on 20 year old springs!

I didn't pay attention to the rear ones so can't say what colour they were.

Not even sure if you can get the stock springs anymore or how much they would be. You can pick up a full V6 G-Max kit for +/- £225 which would give you fresh shocks & springs.

The way you drive, you could happily wait a few months for that as your tyres only seem to scrub the arches when going over dips & bumps in the road at speed, speed being the operative word there!! :lol:
Calibra SE4 3.2 V6 + F28

A Couple of German Cars!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Miscbrah » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:42 pm

DanSE4 wrote:The way you drive, you could happily wait a few months for that as your tyres only seem to scrub the arches when going over dips & bumps in the road at speed, speed being the operative word there!! :lol:

ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by v6 steve » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:58 pm

im with dan it will be the age of your springs i had c20xe 30mm lowered springs on when i did the c20let 4x4 conversion and had 18" alloys on and had no problem with rubbing, i would get a nice set of springs and shocks on it will make so much of a difference,
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Miscbrah » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:21 pm

Aight, yes sounds sensible.

Ta guys. :)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Miscbrah » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:27 am

I didn't, no. Previous owner was a (I presume) middle-aged lady who got it from Network Q back in the day, and left her whole life in the service folder to boot!

I cannot for the life of me recall who, but someone said to me they were standard to the SE5. I'm going to have to look throught the brochure and ask around now see if I'm right or misinformed! :)

But back to it, rather than the lowering kit, could I get by with just standard springs? V6 or otherwise? Best guess I know...

EDIT - Seems like the red springs were standard to the SE5 and came with Irmscher part numbers to them, though most springs were black:

Tales of it here and here.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by LE16 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:56 am

My Se5 had red springs from the factory and I was the 2nd owner god rest her soul.
Sean

SE5 Turbo
LE 07
LE 16
Turbo
Another Turbo
Se7
V6
16V
8v
Club Member
Club Member