V6 rear susp arms

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

by thesaint » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:01 pm

I've got to replace my rear suspension bushes [img]/sad.gif[/img] , i have the haynes book of lies for the cally, is the setup for the 2.0 rear susp the same as the V6? Also i'm going to be having a go at this myself(panic), has anyone else done theirs and can they offer any tips which don't include taking it to a garage [img]/smile.gif[/img]
Also Powerflex? are the available for rear susp on a V6?

Cheers
Pat.
thesaint

by jaybv6 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:11 pm

The rear suspension should be the same IRS (Independant Rear Supspension) set up as the 16v. As for attempting the job yourself? if you are handy with a spanner it should not be that difficult a job.

I have never attempted it myself but can't be that hard.
jaybv6

Changes to Technical section in forum.

by thesaint » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:20 pm

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have never attempted it myself but can't be that hard.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Armed with my trusty manual and the biggest set of hammers in the known universe i shall at least try. :twisted:
Looking at the diagrams in the haynes book, looks like i might be OK.
Cheers Jay.
thesaint

by jaybv6 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:59 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-thesaint+--><div class='quotetop'>(thesaint)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Armed with my trusty manual and the biggest set of hammers in the known universe i shall at least try. :twisted<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Your welcome. By the way they don't call them hammers in the trade, they are called automotive correction tools [img]/laugh.gif[/img]
jaybv6

by SteveU » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:45 pm

Also tw*t stick and gentle persuasion device.

Be warned though, this is not a job for the feint hearted. It will involve a hell of a lot of swearing and loss of blood. Even when done in a garage with a proper ramp and tools it's a nightmare of a job (trust me I know).

I'd recommend using a trolley jack to press the bush in whilst the arm is on the car. Alternatively, take the arm off and get it pressed out by your local machine shop's press.
SteveU