Brake Caliper Overhaul

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

by BenW » Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:42 pm

I know this isn't an Astra forum, but I'll ignore that and ask anyway!

I have a pair of second-hand front brake calipers from a Mk2 Astra GTE 16v to go onto my Mk1 1.8 GTE (along with new disks and pads obviously) to replace the weedy standard brakes. They are a bolt-on replacement, but first I want to make sure they are as effective as Vauxhall intended.

Has anyone here ever overhauled calipers themselves? I will speak to the good people at Autovaux about the parts, but am wondering if kits are available or if components (piston, sliders, seals) need to be sourced individually for rebuilding/reconditioning. Looks like a pretty painless job to do, would that be a fair comment?

TVM!
BenW

by jaybv6 » Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:47 pm

You are better getting reconditoned ones. I bought a set of Calipers, Pads discs from Vauxhall for less than £150 inc vat. That's with the trade club account.
jaybv6

by BenW » Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:01 pm

Cheers Jay. I was hoping to do it as a bit of a project too, and I already have the calipers. They slide fairly freely as they are (I believe the ATE ones were better designed in terms of not seizing all the time, unlike my car's originals), I just wanted to ensure they stayed that way.
BenW