Brake Upgrades!!

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

by Twigz » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:25 pm

Hi guys and gals!

Me again! Seen as my 8v Cali is off the road awaiting engine swap, I'm looking to upgrade my brakes so here's the dilema!!

Should I go for d&g discs all round with sports pads or upgrade to the mighty front end V6 conversion available from PVD? Thing is, Im swaying towards the V6 conversion but if I do that my puny little discs at the back will look like 1 pence peices! Any ideas people.. Im really stuck and the money is burning a hole in my pocket!! I need to spend it before the missus figures out I have spare cash floating about! :wink:

p.s I love my cali 8v and can't afford to insure and maintain the man beast engined cars like alot of you!
Twigz

by Dan Willis » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:46 pm

Maybe the V6 brakes on an 8v would be good.. but generally I think they suck (like my Turbo brakes.. they are awful). I'd go third party if I had the will power or need to upgrade.
Dan
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by K30 » Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:23 pm

i don't know what the V6 ones are like, but ive got brembo disks and they are so much better than the standard 16v i had on the old calibra. For the amount of money VX parts costs, im sure you could get better aftermarket parts.

cheers
adam
K30

by SteveU » Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:48 pm

Or see here:

<a href="http://www.clubcalibra.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1174" target="_blank">http://www.clubcalibra.net/index.php?name=...iewtopic&t=1174</a>
SteveU

by ian_n » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:35 pm

Im looking to upgrade mine too, thinking of Tarox discs and pads all round, (drilled&grooved of course) or maybe EBC discs and pads....any input would be helpfull
ian_n

by Twigz » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:38 pm

Well, I've been speaking to my contact about brake upgrades and I think he come through top trumps on them! He'll do me V6 Calipers (refurbs) with HOOOJ 29cm D& G 4-stud Discs up front - D&G Discs ath the back with Performance Pads all round for £470 [img]/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/biggrin.gif[/img]
Twigz

by K30 » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:46 pm

thats a very good price. I know a lot of them are more than double that!

Adam
K30

by Twigz » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:00 pm

Thats what I thought It's a bargain price! I'm his fav customer I've spent all my recent wages with him [img]/laugh.gif[/img] I;m skint now though :oops:
Twigz

by jaybv6 » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:45 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-low_slung_cali+--><div class='quotetop'>(low_slung_cali)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Well, I've been speaking to my contact about brake upgrades and I think he come through top trumps on them! He'll do me V6 Calipers (refurbs) with HOOOJ 29cm D& G 4-stud Discs up front - D&G Discs ath the back with Performance Pads all round for £470 [img]/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/biggrin.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can get Front Discs and pads for a V6 (284mm) for £50 + vat.
You can also get recon calipers from Vaux for £50 + vat each.

Those are all trade club prices. These are available to you via the Club Calibra Trade account if you are a fully paid up member.
jaybv6

Joke

by leegsi » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:16 pm

Also have a look at <a href="http://www.vaux-md.net" target="_blank">www.vaux-md.net</a>

They do New V6 callipers, 284mm disc's (Drilled to 4 stud) and pads for £195 (All Vauxhall stuff)

Or they also do the 2.6 Vectra GSi stuff agin drilled to 4 stud for £350
The GSi stuff is new calipers again but with 308mm disc's and pads
leegsi

by ian_n » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:37 pm

Is there no input on EBC and TAROX? could do with some advice :roll:
ian_n

by Phantom » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:35 am

I changed my original 16V disks for Tarox ones with competition pads, this didn't stop me from cooking the brakes, or dumping loads of brakes dust on the wheels, after two changes of pads I noticed that the disks had worn beyond their limit so they were scrap, I have since upgraded to the V6 spec and had very little problems
Phantom