LCD Dash help wanted LOCAL AREA

Exterior & Interior Styling.

LCD Dash help wanted LOCAL AREA

by k16sst » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:02 pm

Hello everyone,

I have an LCD dash which I bought from germany.... I want to know if there is anyone in my local area that could fit it, as I have no experience with electrics what so ever. I live in the Bedforshire Herforshire area and wondering if theres anyone out there.
Also what type of transducer will I need?? I have late spec calibra 4x4 turbo on a 96 plate. Any idea of what type I will need? any part numbers??
PLEAESE SOME ONE HELP ME OUT..
THANKS GUYS.
k16sst

by Fraz » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:32 pm

way too far for me, but you don't need a transducer, well you cant use one as your speedo is Electronic

But there is away round it but its complicated, try a search on Digital dash or LCD dash
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by callyben » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:48 pm

i did have a how to guide but i got rid of it when i got my new computer. doh wish i hadn't now
callyben

by Fraz » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:11 am

what sort of lcd dash is it you have by the way?
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by k16sst » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:14 am

how do u mean it wont work and I dont need a transduser?? I'm confused?. I hear loads of calibra turbos have them fitted. Someone please please help.....
k16sst

by k16sst » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:16 am

Fraz wrote:what sort of lcd dash is it you have by the way?

I belive its from the astra GTE, the one with tick rev counter..
k16sst

by Fraz » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:20 am

right a turbo has an electronic speedo, this is driven by a pulse from the ABS ( IIRC) the pulse duration from the transducer is a different duration. So even if you got one, and managed to fit it ( think the late turbos don't even have a drive in the gearbox for a cable)

it will work...but the speed output Will be way out ..like doing 40 mph will show about 60 mph
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Fraz » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:22 am

ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by k16sst » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:24 am

Fraz wrote:right a turbo has an electronic speedo, this is driven by a pulse from the ABS ( IIRC) the pulse duration from the transducer is a different duration. So even if you got one, and managed to fit it ( think the late turbos don't even have a drive in the gearbox for a cable)

it will work...but the speed output Will be way out ..like doing 40 mph will show about 60 mph

Already sounds complicated!! So wats the best thing to do!! but other calibra turbos have them fitted they dont seem to have much problems... Help Help
k16sst

by Fraz » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:34 am

well first check and see if you have a drive in your gearbox for a speedo drive

If you have I am wrong..as the speedo transducer pulse will work the LCD dash (sorry bit late head not in gear )

If not then its going to get complicated, as you then need a Prescaler to alter the pulse duration of your existing wire that drives your speedo

or you could just drive with an inaccurate speedo ..and that is perhaps what these other turbos may have done
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by k16sst » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:39 am

Fraz wrote:well first check and see if you have a drive in your gearbox for a speedo drive

If you have I am wrong..as the speedo transducer pulse will work the LCD dash (sorry bit late head not in gear )

If not then its going to get complicated, as you then need a Prescaler to alter the pulse duration of your existing wire that drives your speedo

or you could just drive with an inaccurate speedo ..and that is perhaps what these other turbos may have done

OK I will check in the morning, but where do I look? obviously somewhere in the gearbox but where? the dash I have in the calibra now doesnt have cable unlike the pre 94 models...
k16sst

by MarkV6 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:33 am

k16sst wrote:OK I will check in the morning, but where do I look? obviously somewhere in the gearbox but where? the dash I have in the calibra now doesnt have cable unlike the pre 94 models...

If your dash doesn't have a cable, then the speedo will be pulse driven from the ABS as Fraz has said. Does your original dash have three connectors on it? (one big black in the centre, one blue, and one white)

Here a links to all the guides I used to fit my digital dash... (along with guidance from the mighty sage that is Fraz :D )

Here is a link to the digi dash pinout
Astra digi dash pin assignment

Fitting a digi dash to cav mk3/calibra
Intructions

Fitting a genuine Cav Mk3 Digital Dash (Not your type but has a section on getting the check control working)
More instructions

As for getting the speedo working, Fraz sent me this link...
Speedo pre-scaler

OR you could send a message to migweb member Dom as he makes them
Dom's online shop

I had access to a Tech2 diagnostic unit which displayed the speed signal and I knew that 3k rpm in 6th was approx 80 mph so I had reference points to set up the speedo.

Getting the illumination working was a bit of a problem. As you can see the original clocks in the daylight they don't need any backlighting unlike the LCD panel.
What I did was get a switch which allowed me to switch from an ignition feed (daytime viewing) to the dimmer feed from the headlamp switch for the night.

Rocker switch 081209 On/On

I cut out the panel next to the headlamp adjuster and fitted the switch in there.
I used to own this Calibra...
I now own this one.

Xbox live gamertag IcedSage
PS3 PS4 network gamertag Calibra-Madman
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by Fraz » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:08 am

Sage!!!!! my I feel even older now

good info though mark, but I think he has one of the Astra dashs that have the check control along the bottom. If so they look even harder to fit
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by k16sst » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:52 am

Ok I will attach a picture soon so u can tell what dash it is.... Thanks mate
k16sst

by k16sst » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:45 pm

I cant seem to post any pics, apprentley the pic size is to big its only 760KB.. what can i do...
k16sst

Next