Harman Kardon: Drive + Play iPod interface

In Car Entertainment

Harman Kardon: Drive + Play iPod interface

by DaveP » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:48 pm

Hi, has anybody used the Harman Kardon: Drive + Play to connect their iPod to a head unit? Halfords are currently selling it for £79.99 including installation which is an absolute bargain. :D
After trying it in store and browsing the internet for reviews etc it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for, but my only doubt is about sound quality because of the way it connects to the head unit.

The HK kit can be connected to an existing head unit in a number of ways: 1) via spare input on your head unit (eg CD changer) 2) via a 3.5mm input on the front of your head unit 3) connected directly into the aerial socket on the back of your head unit.
I don't have spare input for iption 1, or a 3.5mm input for option 2, so I'll have to connect it directly into the aerial socket at the back of the head unit. I'll still have to tune the head unit into a choice of radio frequencies, but it should be a lot better than an FM transmitter.

* Has anybody got/used this HK kit before, and is it any good?
* Is the sound quality OK when connecting directly into the aerial connector, and are there any inteference issues? Or is it just as bad as a wireless FM transmitter?
* Does it pause / switch the iPod off when I switch to CD / tape / radio, and then pick up where it left off, or do I have to manually pause/switch off the iPod myself?

Cheers
DaveP

Re: Harman Kardon: Drive + Play iPod interface

by Sleipner » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:38 am

I have it. I didnt like the sound quality... I used FM-adapter. So I bought a new head unit wich has built in ipod interface.
Sleipner

by Shnoop » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:13 pm

Hiya mate, my old man has it in his nissan, the sound quality is A ok and i think it depends on where the music on the ipod came from in first place!. His i-pod is left inside his glove box and is turned on and off when the HK unit is powered on, his draws power from a car charger which he plugs in and out wen he wants too use it, which is the worst part of it in my eyes... dunno if thiers a way too hard wire it too your stereo?? hope this helped, also i think he got his from the internet and was cheaper than £70!!
Shnoop

by RobbieV » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:21 pm

Please check dates before posting, Thank you.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Shnoop » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:45 pm

haha, oh ye my bad :banging:
Shnoop