Doulbe din head unit, can it be done ?

In Car Entertainment

Doulbe din head unit, can it be done ?

by ultimatequinoxe » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:24 pm

I bought a double din unit for my lexus but now going back to my Calibra, but I'd like to put this HU in if I can, I plan to try and find a spare facia or two for chopping up so I can keep ( for the most part ) the dash original and clean.

Anyone fitted a double din unit ? Any tips, pics or links ?

Many thanks ! Cheers !!!
ultimatequinoxe

Re: Doulbe din head unit, can it be done ?

by WillsToy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:38 am

Pretty sure it has been done but sadly the dash has been modded in some way or other.
Helps if you don't have oil and volt gauges as it may fit down there , not sure of the cleareance behind, but most seem to mod the center air vents IIRC.

Will
WillsToy

by ultimatequinoxe » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:43 pm

Yes your right, even with the front piece off, the main dash body behind has something between the two slots still, possibly metal I shall have a look today. I think I have read of one case so far where someone has done it, but there is a gap of course over or under it of an inch or so, but thats ok. Think a reposition of the dials ( carefully ) or even just fit new ones on the pillar and store the originals away for the time being. I'll look at the centre vents but I think its better to leave them in with summer coming up.

Thanks alot for your thoughts ! Thats given me some things to think about, I shall investigate more today. :mrgreen:
ultimatequinoxe

by 1llusion » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:09 pm

I would like to know if there is an update on this matter.
The gauges will be in my Vec LCD and using both give problems, so the gauges under the radio have to go.
Making it an ideal place for a Double Din.
the one and only,
Used to Own 1llusion CarStyling
Still have my 1996 Cliff V6
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Allys Cally » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:22 pm

but on a serious note V6 Steve did have a double din fitted in his calibra before he fitted the ipad
BETTER TO HAVE A CALIBRA AND NOT NEED ONE, THAN NEED A CALIBRA AND NOT HAVE ONE!!!

BEST STANDARD BILLING 2009 CO-OWNER
BEST STANDARD BILLING 2011 CO-OWNER
BEST PRESENTED BILLING 2012
BEST ENGINE BAY BILLING 2015
Chairmans Choice - Scottish Car Show 2016
BEST INTERIOR VBOA 2017
BEST IN SHOW VBOA 2018
VBOA CHAIRMAN CUP 2018
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member