Help and advice needed with ICE Install

In Car Entertainment

Help and advice needed with ICE Install

by taylor-run » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:03 pm

Hi All,

Right then i need some help, The exterior is pretty much sorted on the Cally so now time for the Install.

1 - I want to make some door pods for the front, 2 sets of component speakers, does anyone know how to make them?

2 - Subs 1 x 15 or 2 x 12??

3 - 6 x 9's yes or no ??

4 - Amps to run it all on, suggestions welcome.

Now then, if anyone here owns / works for a car audio company would you be willing to donate some audio equipment in return for advertising on the Taylor-run website and on the car itself ?? Anything would be a massive help.

Please let me have your thoughts
taylor-run

Re: Help and advice needed with ICE Install

by vinny_69 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:44 pm

taylor-run wrote:1 - I want to make some door pods for the front, 2 sets of component speakers, does anyone know how to make them?

halford's or ebay for the standard ones mate
taylor-run wrote:2 - Subs 1 x 15 or 2 x 12??

i would always go for 2 twelves for a bit of punch
taylor-run wrote:3 - 6 x 9's yes or no ??

all depends mate putting them in the parcel shelf looks pants but you can get them to sit in the rear cards
taylor-run wrote:4 - Amps to run it all on, suggestions welcome.

how big is your budget?
taylor-run wrote:Now then, if anyone here owns / works for a car audio company would you be willing to donate some audio equipment in return for advertising on the Taylor-run website and on the car itself ?? Anything would be a massive help.

i will give you 2 foot of audio wire if you put a ford sticker on yer bonnet :lol:
vinny_69

by taylor-run » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:56 pm

Thanks for the reply mate,

1- will have a look in halfords,
2- defo going for the 12's
3- agree about putting them in the shelf, was defo thinking about the rear cards
4 - as for the ford badge mate, i don't need the wiring that bad :D bloody fords how very dare you !!

had some good news today in-phase have said they will donate a set of component speakers to the cause..
taylor-run

by stevo turbo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:42 pm

1 - I want to make some door pods for the front, 2 sets of component speakers, does anyone know how to make them?
I know haynes did a ice install book and im sure its all in there. its a case of build it in wood, cover with fiberglass, sand, cover with body filler, sand, cover or paint, fit speakers. as far as i can remember its quite a bit of work involved. there should also be a how to somewhere on the net

2 - Subs 1 x 15 or 2 x 12??
all depends on what youy want, the 12's will be a bit more "punchy" but also depends on if you want to port the box or not but the 15 will allow you go go a tad bit lower in the frequncy range. but it really depends on what speaker you buy and what box you use.

3 - 6 x 9's yes or no ??
Not a big fan of 6 x 9's to be honest, i did used to be until i used a set of compontnts on my last install which i thought were 10 times better, just sounded alot clearer.

4 - Amps to run it all on, suggestions welcome.
all depends on what speakers you buy and how much power you want to run in terms of rms. something like 2- 2 channel amps would do one for components (or 6 x 9) and one for 2 12"s. ( or possibly a mono block if going for 1 15")
Club Member
Club Member

by breake » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:38 pm

i kinda know a little about fabricating installs, and who to go to for help but im getting kicked off the p.c. by a nine year old lol. ill get on here tommorow and give you all the important advice. heres a couple pics for ya:
breake

by breake » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:40 pm

http://img228.imageshack.us/i/24092009017.jpg/

ive posted pics of them installed in teh interior section ;)
breake

by breake » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:29 pm

6x9's are an absolute no! they try to do too much. there only ever seen in cars as they are a cheap way of getting a bit more of everything in a sound system. they try to put out a bass, mid bass and high note all at once and never sound good. you probably dont understand and never owuld untill you sit inside of a propper job.

subbs. go for two 12's. the way you decide what subbs to go for is to think about what music you licten to. 15's are good for music with a loud and long bass note. a ten would be more souted to something with a punchy bass note and twelves are everything in between.

THE BEST ADVICE I EVER HEARD.

"Try to create a sound stage"

simply. thing about a propper sound stage and where everything is. thats what you need to create in your car. think about what each component delivers and where the instrument which delivers them sounds is positioned on a propper stage.

direction is more important than the quality of the components or the kind of power you are putting out.. i'll start a thread on creating a soundstage in a car cos theres too much to it and another on building door cards etc.
breake

by Chadm » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:46 am

The trick is to tune your speakers accordingly so that they are all peaking in the sound ranges that they are designed for. Then when they're all playing together it sounds sweet. Just as you don't want too much treble, you don't want too much bass. The sound needs to be balanced by fine-tuning your head-unit options and also settings on the amps.
Chadm

by v6 steve » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:04 pm

a lot think that load is best but as Chadm says you want all your kit to work together and give a nice crisp clear sound
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net