Creating a Soundstage in your car!

In Car Entertainment

Creating a Soundstage in your car!

by breake » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:28 pm

Alot of people think taht if the buy the very best of kit and stick it in a car it will sound awesome. :doh: worse still are those that think if they buy loads of kit and throw it in a car it will sound even better :banging:

What realy matters is where you put everything!

Think in terms of a soundstage. :band:

They all tend to look like the one above dont they.

They have the drum furthest away as it provides the low and mid bass which is non directional.

The vocals and guitarist and other main instruments are out front so that you hear these above everything else

The symbols,triangles,and other tingy high instruments are raised and often out on the flanks.

whenever we are setting up a sound system we should try our best to set up in this same way.A good D.J. does this and so should a good I.C.E. man.

These two simple pa set ups show this again. they have the non directional bass bins at the bottom, the mids providing the vocals etc right in front of you and then up at high they have the tweaters.

so when you buy your components think about where your going to put them above everything else.

in the boot of my most recent project we had two 12' subs. as ive said before subs are non directional. correctly set up your bass can be moved through the car untill it sounds like it is sitting at the top of your bonnet. this can be quite strange when you know you have them in the boot lol but it is part of creating that sound stage.

The dashboard is the front of your stage. The very best place to put your main instruments and vocalists is right here so this is where you put your speakers. when propperly set up you should be able to close your eyes and hear the singers stood right bang in the middle of your bonnet. unfortunately this isnt allways an option and speakers have to be put to the side but it is important that you get them at that height and facing as far forward as possible.

Perfect

Could be better but at least there on the dash (stage)

Tweeters provide the high notes and small delicate instruments. you wouldnt beleive how important it is to get these right as in a propper install you start to hear instruments you didnt think where there. Tweeters should be up high. perfectly positioned at ear height and pointing directly at the drivers ear. they are so small a part that you barely notice that they arnt both pointing at the same angle when you look at them but you know there right when there right.

Same pic as above. you can see that the tweeters are perfectly alligned here. sorry ive no better pic

In the doors of my last project we used a pair of speakers on a single channel providing the mid bass. This is non directional again like the subs but we pitched the speakers up slightly for looks.

Perfect.
Last edited by Fraz on Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: sorting life size picture
breake

Re: Creating a Soundstage in your car!

by splinter » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:54 pm

Well i dont care, i have 5.1 in my car so i have a center speaker so it sound like there stood right bang in the middle of your bonnet. :) whoop whoop !!! :band:
I get blown by Twins everyday !!!!

The old skyline gtr felt exciting even when it was in a car wash !!!!! :)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Fraz » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:19 pm

you want to make them pictures smaller please
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Fraz » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:54 pm

its ok i did it ...sorry but when they are that huge the text is then way off the screen
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by breake » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:11 pm

cheers lads. i still dont know how to make these pics smaller. which url should i be using on image shack?
breake

by RobbieV » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:17 pm

breake wrote:cheers lads. i still dont know how to make these pics smaller. which url should i be using on image shack?

Better off using photobucket and using the bottom URL for adding pics to posts.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by breake » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:24 pm

bottom url. will remember that thanks.
breake