Newbie and his Crok

Show off your Projects here, the link for the garage is at the top of the page for showcasing your car

Re: Newbie and his Crok

by sealeysonic » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:26 pm

Happy days mate!

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by henry*r » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:10 pm

Tomorrow night is cambelt and water pump as well as some cheap front door speakers (Mac Audio... anyone heard of them?!) ready for trip down to Padstow on Friday

Hey Mac Audio is an German car hifi manufacturer - I've installed 6.5" speakers APM FIRE 2.16 into my friends Passat and they sound really good. The quality you get for the money is unbelievable! Also installed 8" bandpass subwoofer Ice Cube 108p into a Fabia - build quality very good, nice to look at and the noise it creates - really shakes the car! So don't hesitate and get some component 6.5" - I think you will be happy with the finished result.
PSN network gamertag: henry_cz
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by dex101 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:01 pm

Thanks Henry, that's really good to know as I ordered very quickly without really checking any reviews or anything! If the turn out good, might get same make for the rears.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by rips » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:47 pm

dex101 wrote:Thanks Henry, that's really good to know as I ordered very quickly without really checking any reviews or anything! If the turn out good, might get same make for the rears.

I've always considered car Audio to be a little bit of a lottery.
The placement of speakers can have a big effect on sound quality. A speaker which may work well in the parcel shelf side panels (because they use the boot as a speaker cavity) can be poor in the rear side panels of a Calibra.

Fingers crossed that what you have works well!
1995 Calibra 16v Ecotec Jungle Green
1990 Elan SE Pacific Blue
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by dex101 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:47 pm

Thanks rips. I don't really know anything about car audio except when I can tell if there is sound or not! Haha
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by henry*r » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:48 pm

rips wrote:I've always considered car Audio to be a little bit of a lottery.
The placement of speakers can have a big effect on sound quality. A speaker which may work well in the parcel shelf side panels (because they use the boot as a speaker cavity) can be poor in the rear side panels of a Calibra.

Fingers crossed that what you have works well!

Yeah, obviously depends on speaker placement and insulation/sound deadening of the whole area. You can buy the most expensive speakers in the world, but if you just screw it to a metal sheet, they will sound crap. They have to be installed properly. I was just trying to say, that Mac Audio have quality stuff which can be used to build a decent audio system.
PSN network gamertag: henry_cz
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by dex101 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:45 pm

Well that was a long evening just to change a cam belt.

Water pump looked brand new, however after fitting the new cam belt it was vibrating badly when engine was revved. Upon closer inspection the water pump was the wrong one (also explains why a "new" Cambelt looked nackered). So then had to change the water pump.

This also meant that I couldn't do my speakers! Had a very quick look, any idea how to tell which wire should have which spade terminal on? Got to do this tomorrow evening as 6 hours in a car with the other half with out any music could be hard...
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by dex101 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:35 pm

So speakers all wired in an working. Pleased with how they sound considering I just ordered the first ones I found. All ready for drive down to padstow tomorrow.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by dex101 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:28 pm

No real updates apart from the car is still going and loving it more and more each day.

Currently have a wedding to pay for so work is minimal however currently planning ahead for next year when the car will be slowly becoming more standard.

Anyone know of any bonnets or boots going, please let me know!

Also I am going to change the alloys, however as its 5 stud and I dont want to change it all back need to find some 5 stud vauxhall alloys that will suit.

What do you guys think to the Omega Elite alloys on a cally? Saw them on a Carlton on migweb and they looked really good, kind of like the cav slabs which i know were standard on some Calibras...

Let me know what you guys think.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by dex101 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:02 pm

So have gone for it and bought a set of Omega Elite alloys. got them for a good price without tyres so once have ordered some new tyres will get them fitted. et39 so slightly out but seem to be just feasible.

Just mocked this up really quickly in paint, think it actually looks quite good!

ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Previous