Calibra Concept resurection Project

Show off your Projects here, the link for the garage is at the top of the page for showcasing your car

Calibra Concept resurection Project

by sechtor » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:06 pm

Hi to all

I 've decided to start this topic here, since the website just helped me back to restore the v6calibra.net website info, which to be honest, was a really nice handbook for Cali owners.
In short, I own a Cali v6, for 9y now , I enjoyed a lot, and I really want to get back the first feelings out of it.
Once I notice all Cali owners face almost the same issues, worries, for sure you felt the followings too:
- Lost Neck breaker :
The aggressive futuristic look -which Calibra had on the streets in late 90s, when you stepping by .
Lots of cars got now to LED ,people got too much use to bad *** headlights ,narrow shaped with DTRL , eg Audi design.
When I drove back the the Calibra, and I was too tired riding 90 or 100 km/h , all behid traffic was polite - securing the overtake, not pushy and respectable.
Nowdays, 140km/h on a regular city road, seems is simply standing to all behind,all are flashing highbeams, overtake at 10cm from fenders.honking -damn stressful. Is not culture or something- tested in the same conditions,couple of months driving SL Coupe AMG, and I got back my former memories since I first got Calibra

- Size got smaller and smaller
Cars platform chassis grew up more and more, noticeable ! 1 class DOWN . Vectra A - Large family car D = nowdays compact car C - Astra Sedan. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opel_Vectra)
- Interior design- 1 decade behind outside shell.
Except door panels, and maybe a bit of rear seats, rest is so old looking took almost entirely from VectraA. This car deserves LOT better interior, even for an old school .
- Performance went to mid range from high performance
I know not too many drive outside US, 170 or 200 cp, but it seems like since GTr -s spread that much, we start chatting about performance starting from 500cp+ .

Personally I will keep this car until end of days soon as second car not daily driver , I will never let it behind, maybe just let it as heritage to my kid.

So I came to you Calibra lovers, to revive these faded pleasure of driving this legend, by having your input, and why not , your help.
Last edited by sechtor on Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Re: Calibra Concept resurection

by sechtor » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:19 pm

fullsize_distr2.jpg
fullsize_distr.jpg

So some steps that I began with :

Taillights and Headlights will be in my main focus since light gives back the most of the futuristic look.

Step 1 started

Taillight is now in design process. I have allready the modified version - 2000 -2005 design, but still too classic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K4TKChBaNc

Here some pics with base frame.

I've reconstructed the frame reversing engineering over 3D scan immage of an aftermarket item ( I need to paint it in white for better scan results)
Attachments
Scan.png
2_distr.jpg
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by sechtor » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:44 pm

For bodywork, I intend to use Printed model. I just printed 2models . One I filled up with clay - just a test - model too small , so I just printed a bigger one.
I want to test the finall aerodynamics in a smoke tunnel.

The aim of wide body is not for the wheels, Is for compensating the effect which I was telling in the opening of topic : "Car is getting smaller and smaller"
So wide should harmonize with the rest of the car, but to keep somehow the same shape :
- drop look -wider in front thicker in rear
- narrow doors effect - given by middle plastic dent protectors
- wheel arches embedded in bodywork - not like additional wider arches
- taillights and headlights with same external shape
Attachments
IMG_20161124_152225.jpg
semi_side_rear_wide.jpg
IMG_20161124_152242.jpg
IMG_20161124_152323.jpg
IMG_20161115_072435.jpg
IMG_20161115_072332.jpg
clay_loaded_front.jpg
IMG_20161124_152451.jpg
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by sechtor » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:49 pm

the draft clay design, adds 250mm offset to OEM body :mrgreen:

You are welcome to post any design that you love and you think is suitable for the bodyshell.
Since the Cali was so popular in it's glory days, now-days, design should be choosen with care in the way as many as possible to love the new design.

In case you want 3D models to play on your own with clay, just let me know.

Cheers :dance:
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Cliff » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:04 pm

Hi and welcome! I really like the models you've built, you have some skills when it comes to modelling obviously. Are you using a 3D printer to produce the models once you've finished with the clay?
Site Admin
Site Admin

by sechtor » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:24 pm

Hi Cliff,

Thanks for Greetings and feedback.
Yep, I will print out with 3D extruder (as model pictured here) the proto 0. But this is suitable for small to medium size parts. Taillight /HEadlight are mid size.
Meaning the first real part used to check dimensions, water tightness , light centering etc.
For big body parts, I will 3D scan the small model, then I will mill in XPS using a 3 axis router. -I would be lovely with a 6 axis, but not sure I will have any access to such CNC soon :)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by sechtor » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:28 pm

Once proto 0 is confirmed, and gets all adjusments, I will print in SLA resin -gives much moother surface , That I can share with all of the guys around here by RTV replication.
I would love to see one of my projects running on Cali owners
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Re: Calibra Concept resurection Project

by sechtor » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:01 am

this is how the taillight I intend to design ..close to this one , keeping the Calibra outer shape
Attachments
5fd6ce9f3d723bc9ac5b45a340447ab8.jpg
4e208ed5370a913fcc7d38aa3d52439f.jpg
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by LE16 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:20 am

Great work!

We're going to need a perfect set of bumper/side mouldings 3d scanned and 3d printed soon. This may be the only way we can get replacements.

Sean.
Sean

SE5 Turbo
LE 07
LE 16
Turbo
Another Turbo
Se7
V6
16V
8v
Club Member
Club Member

by sechtor » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:13 pm

Yep, this is one of another reason why I was thinking to go this way. I'm all in to this, and I hate RUST!!, I'm sick of repairing, and inspecting 4-5years for rust and corrosion.
I want fiber and aluminum ONLY! I promise to you, for the fiber (glass or carbon) I will do only vacuum laminate.( to avoid trapped air bubbles )
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by sechtor » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:10 pm

Hello Guys,

I need a bit of help with your opinions about following issue:

Behind the taillights there are  the drainage hoses for sunroof.  If I change my design to avoid bulge in these hoses, I will ruin the hot look of it.
 How do you feel ( for the ones that you love the design and you will retrofit such taillights) about switching with the new ones:
1 ) you will accept compromise of very small depth of interior body design ,but as a reward have no extra work to install adapters for hoses
2.) you will not accept compromise of the design, and will do extra work ( and maybe about 30eur extra money) to install drainage offset adapters for the hoses.
Attachments
frontView.jpg
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by sechtor » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:10 pm

come on guys, this is a call for helping us all
I did not asked for money or any like that, just your opinion about question in doubt: sunroof drain adapters or not?

Please post some opinions about that,because there is big truth in a saying of one user here:
"Change is imminent, progress is optional"
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by HOT-ROD » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:05 am

Hi sector

I like where your going with these designs. I can't speak for anyone else but I would have no problems in paying extra to modify parts to keep the design as sharp as you say it is. Do you have any sort or colour drawing of how the tail light is expected to turn out? I only ask as "lexus" lights were all the rage back in the 90s but now they look a bit dated (no offence to anyone still using them) and I would hate to invest money in parts that would cheapen the look of the car in years to come. Sorry if this has come across as rude but I know how fashions come and go.
Club Member
Club Member

by sechtor » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:53 pm

Hello Guys,

Thanks for feedback, many thanks to HOT-ROD !! :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright:
Yep , you are right, new designs are very exposed to "moral decaying" . But Calibra itself, as the model design was very very lasting design
This is what I tried to do for the new one . Lexus design (also the one I used the protective glass -temporary) was an idea not so spread, so at the beginning uniqueness gave that a feeling of new fashion. Once all aftermarket manufactures embraced that idea, it just became too common.
I will add some renderings with colors when I will end with contour walls.
Currently I just got Proto-0 out for proportions check-up
Attachments
p4.JPG
I think I will not have enough budget for My model lens, I will drive with these ones for a while, untill I gather some calibra owners to preorder
p3.JPG
p2.JPG
p1.JPG
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by sechtor » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:57 pm

I tried to embed the Body lines, and I will keep red up/down and white in the middle.
Also I did a muffler tips and thank under-body aerodynamics deflector design to follow the same lines as the taillights.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Next