guys need a bit of help ....

All the non Calibra related waffle and jokes. Not for excessive spamming

Re: guys need a bit of help ....

by BazV6er » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:14 pm

yeah all sorted guys cheers ...

good guess steve , lol hehe im getting too high on burning oil and besides a few weeks ago i did half a job so ive got the warehouse to my self and tina tomorrow so by the end of the day it wont be leaking : :bazooka:
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by k1nty » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:15 pm

BazV6er wrote:yeah all sorted guys cheers ...

good guess steve , lol hehe im getting too high on burning oil and besides a few weeks ago i did half a job so ive got the warehouse to my self and tina tomorrow so by the end of the day it wont be leaking : :bazooka:

touchwod mate...what was wrong?
k1nty

by BazV6er » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:31 pm

i nver torqued cam bolts properly , never used sealant etc
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by k1nty » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:36 pm

oh well mate...you now know i guess,if you ever feel it needs it ,give it,ask for rodaseal at a good motorfactors...the best stuff out there,gasket corners i allways give a bit..
k1nty

by Allys Cally » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:43 pm

well i didnt use sealer or torque my metal cam covers and so far i cant see any leaks on mine. you must just be unlucky Baz
BETTER TO HAVE A CALIBRA AND NOT NEED ONE, THAN NEED A CALIBRA AND NOT HAVE ONE!!!

BEST STANDARD BILLING 2009 CO-OWNER
BEST STANDARD BILLING 2011 CO-OWNER
BEST PRESENTED BILLING 2012
BEST ENGINE BAY BILLING 2015
Chairmans Choice - Scottish Car Show 2016
BEST INTERIOR VBOA 2017
BEST IN SHOW VBOA 2018
VBOA CHAIRMAN CUP 2018
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by k1nty » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:48 pm

Allys Cally wrote:well i didnt use sealer or torque my metal cam covers and so far i cant see any leaks on mine. you must just be unlucky Baz

no your lucky...joking it aint that critical....its a non pressure seal really.
k1nty

by BazV6er » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:49 pm

yeah but the trouble is im getting told by various people and resources that you torque up bolts using the correct sequesnce on each bolt and some have said to use minimal sealer but more on half moon cutouts and the other ends as well as the corners .plus i need to sort of seal the new ones slightly in the cover as they dont stay but fall out of the grooves and there proper vauxhall ones and some have said no need for sealer ..
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Allys Cally » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:53 pm

the gaskets i got from Autovaux press into the covers Baz so when you flip the cover over the gasket doesn't fall out. plus i wouldnt think you would need to put sealer in the half moons
BETTER TO HAVE A CALIBRA AND NOT NEED ONE, THAN NEED A CALIBRA AND NOT HAVE ONE!!!

BEST STANDARD BILLING 2009 CO-OWNER
BEST STANDARD BILLING 2011 CO-OWNER
BEST PRESENTED BILLING 2012
BEST ENGINE BAY BILLING 2015
Chairmans Choice - Scottish Car Show 2016
BEST INTERIOR VBOA 2017
BEST IN SHOW VBOA 2018
VBOA CHAIRMAN CUP 2018
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by k1nty » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:56 pm

baz mate,theres lads on here talk sense.....the torque isnt critical to each nm or lbft but as a precaution seal the edges of gaket....i do it for a living.theres some good lads on here.
k1nty

by BazV6er » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:06 am

yh i know mate, but ive tried without sealer and they leaked so im going down the sealant route
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Fraz » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:51 am

you have got the correct gaskets for the Vectra covers...new ones not the ones that are already fitted ???
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by BazV6er » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:21 pm

well ive finished about a hour ago , just washed the car , basically i used a bit of gasket sealer to seal the slightly ill fitting gasket ( so ive actually used the ones robv said to use the softer ones which he originally told me to use.

Waited 15-20 mins for that to set then applied a thin bit around the face of the gasket , a little more in the corners of the heads ,and the crescent bits so im just hoping its not gonna leak otherwise i dont know what im going to do .

but at least this time ive done it as most have said , i did the rear bank 1st after i was amazed how quick i got the inlet manifold off and did after lunch did the other one , gonna give it a littlle shortwait and drive home and hopefully it wont leak.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Callyman » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:31 pm

Baz, putting sealer anywhere on the outside wont serve any purpose at all
Details on how to join the club---Click me
Club Memberships
Club Memberships

by Mark1 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:41 pm

callyman wrote:Baz, putting sealer anywhere on the outside wont serve any purpose at all

And will look a mess.
Mark...........It's Red........It's a V6............It's an SE9!..............and She's bad.
Mark1@clubcalibra.net

ClubCalibra Best Presented 2006
ClubCalibra Best Presented 2010
ClubCalibra Best Interior 2011

My Garage
Club Treasurer
Club Treasurer

by BazV6er » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:04 pm

ok lets get a few things correct , i havent used any sealer around the edges , i put sealer on the face of the gasket, head corners and the cutouts .as for the gasket its the correct fit as robbiev gave me as well as the cam covers , so i had two sets one that were quite hard but didnt fall out (robv told me not to use these so i did and today ive changed both to the others but had to make sure they stuck inside the grooves with a small amount of the sealant. .

now the great thing is theres small drops of oil dropping on path but tbh its coming from the wishbones areas so maybe when i had the oil cooler syndrome it went everywhere which it did anyway , a bit of a smell of oil but it seems to of been fixed.
:band:

heres a few pics :

now it may look slightly messy but from what i can see none of the gaskets are leaking.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

PreviousNext