LET the rebuild begin

Show off your Projects here, the link for the garage is at the top of the page for showcasing your car

by splinter » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:34 pm

Nice one that looks better [img]/smile.gif[/img]
I get blown by Twins everyday !!!!

The old skyline gtr felt exciting even when it was in a car wash !!!!! :)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by bodgetastic » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:45 pm

Ive been making some good progress over the last couple of weeks on what is quite possibly the longest Calibra rebuild in history :D . Infact its a year to the day tomorrow that the engine blew so thought I would post up a few progress bits.

First up, been working on cleaning all the bits ready to go back in the car. Gearbox with its first coat of paint....

And finishised in all its glory with new mounts..

Next the transfer box, nice oily mess at first..

And after a good clean up, took ages..

And painted..

What is starting to fustrate me is that nothing fits first time and needs to be modded, typical example, fitting arp flywheel bolts..

But the GOOD news is that I have a completed engine ready to go back in the car......

The plan is to fit the gearbox and transfer box and fit it in the car, then bolt on all the manifolds and ancillaries once in. Getting their though :banana:
Last edited by bodgetastic on Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More power than God
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

by bodgetastic » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:51 pm

Spent a bit of time today trial fitting the manifold and turbo so I can get the oil feed and return pipes measured up, looking very nice .......

The return should be fairly easy to fit, will just need to cut the existing pipe a little and fit the right connector. The flow will be a bit trickier and will probably need to get a new pipe made up to fit up and around onto the oil restrictor of the garrett. Don't suppose anyone has any pics? Also, do people tend to use a gasket between manifold and turbo? Gonna be a tight fit for the intake pipework too I think ^_^

Also have the elbow turn up for the outlet which should make it a bit easier when I come to have the exhaust made up.....

Anyone know where I can buy a flange between this and the turbo?

Also loads more Mikalors have arrived so I can start fitting all the ancillary pipes, how cute are the tiny ones lol :lol:

Last edited by bodgetastic on Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More power than God
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

by Fostersice17 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:09 am

Been one journey that Bodge,glad to see you are nearing the end.
Fostersice17

by Allys Cally » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:20 am

good to see it all coming together mate, bet you'll be glad to finally see it all finished and running again :D
BETTER TO HAVE A CALIBRA AND NOT NEED ONE, THAN NEED A CALIBRA AND NOT HAVE ONE!!!

BEST STANDARD BILLING 2009 CO-OWNER
BEST STANDARD BILLING 2011 CO-OWNER
BEST PRESENTED BILLING 2012
BEST ENGINE BAY BILLING 2015
Chairmans Choice - Scottish Car Show 2016
BEST INTERIOR VBOA 2017
BEST IN SHOW VBOA 2018
VBOA CHAIRMAN CUP 2018
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by chip » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:22 pm

That manifold is gorgeous, what make is it?
chip

by chip » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:41 pm

thought I recognised it, ive got two on order from peter myself at the moment, amazing bits of work!
chip

by bodgetastic » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:24 am

Its a gorgeous piece of kit and extremely well made, defiantely worth the money! Just done another temp fitting though to check the new oil feed and realised how little room their is to fit some of the exhaust studs. Gonna have to look into getting something else to use :unsure:

Last edited by bodgetastic on Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More power than God
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

by bodgetastic » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:39 am

Heres the weekends progress, not as much as I would of liked as usual <_< . First up, pic of the engine looking pretty with some new bits back from the powder coaters...

Picked up the oil feed for the turbo thanks to a few guys down at Pirtek...

Heres it in place, had to put a 90 degree connection on to avoid clashing with the manifold...

And a pic of the return. Managed to reuse the existing one after a bit of trimming which now has a nice flow back to the sump...

Engines now finally ready to be taken off the stand after god knows how long :lol:

Clutch on and gearbox ready to go on in the morning when I should have a bit more energy to maneuver it..

I can see the light B)
Last edited by bodgetastic on Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
More power than God
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

by andy1 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:06 am

looking good mate
andy1

by bodgetastic » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:56 pm

paz wrote:looking good mate

Cheers mate, getting their. Managed to fit the gearbox and transfer box today and finish off a few other bits and bobs so next weekend I should be able to get the car in the garage and start working on that ready to put the engine in!

Last edited by bodgetastic on Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More power than God
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

by EY » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:44 pm

Rebuild complete! What a happy day mate, bet you're well chuffed. What's left to do to the car?
1993 SAAB powered Calibra turbo. TD04-19t. Stage 4. 300bhp.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by bodgetastic » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:35 pm

EY wrote:Rebuild complete! What a happy day mate, bet you're well chuffed. What's left to do to the car?

Im a lot happier now thats its off the engine stand and can be put to one side for a bit but still a lot to do though :wacko: . First up on the car is to sort out all the loom although I hate electrics so will probabaly get someone in to do that. Also fit the gauges that are on order at the moment. Then uprate the fuel pump, fuel lines, change the stearing rack which had a slight leak before the car went bang, move the intercooler back a tad and sort out the front bumper, fit new oil cooler and radiator. Car also needs a good clean inside and out which will include indersealing the bottom. Then the engine can finally go in and I can get the exhaust made up.

Uprated brakes will then hopefully be first on the list when its up and running :lol:
More power than God
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

by bodgetastic » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:36 pm

Few more toys arrived today. These are the dogs doogleys to monitor AFR and EGT B)

Just need to decide where to mount them now :lol:

Last edited by bodgetastic on Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More power than God
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

by EY » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:33 pm

Nice blade! Components look ok too :D
1993 SAAB powered Calibra turbo. TD04-19t. Stage 4. 300bhp.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

PreviousNext