My Cav Turbo rebuild...

Show off your Projects here, the link for the garage is at the top of the page for showcasing your car

by m00k » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:26 pm

finally sorted out the prob wi batt light comin on at 3k revs, a new alternator cured it so alls good, windows shud be swapped over to the tinted ones again some day this week and then get in touch wi audio advice for the sound sys to go back in, gonna leave the turbo recon to next month i think...
m00k

by m00k » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:51 pm

small update, had a few days wi audio advice there so the sounds are in and working, good to have them back, has to go back to get the neons checked as they aint powering up, suspected transformer died, also the ps2 is built in but awaitin the inverter to power it up aswell!!

needs a quick wipe down and the interior hoovered/dusted off but few pics for now

think i need to change the accumulator bulb aswell for the 4x4 system so tryin to source one that hasnt gone out of its shelf life at the mo!!!

m00k

by tazz666 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:13 pm

i do like your boot build mate very tidy
tazz666

Re: My Cav Turbo rebuild...

by m00k » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:13 am

well long time no update... after gettin it on the road transfer box died, so replaced it wi the spare box i had ere which was supposed to be a locked box, it lasted 200miles on the same day it was fitted...

set about sourcing a box in england and sent it to get rebuilt, once it was stripped down it was found to be useless too..

sooo... goin back to the drawing board ended up sending my original box from the car to england as it was only the oil seal gone in it. Got it stripped, cleaned, rebuilt and locked so it now runs permanent 4 wheel drive, like anything cav turbo related it didnt go smoothly but got there in the end, so today was first its really had opportunity to be driven, have to drive easy first few k and change the box oil after 500miles too. All good so far tho, gave ti a clean this afternoon and a quick wail about this evenin, lovin having the sound sys back etc :D

only got a few snaps before i tucked it away for the night, will get a decent shoot sorted when i get it properly cleaned up

have to thank mike hayward for all his help and advice wi the box!! TOP BLOKE!
m00k

by m00k » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:51 pm

Finally got round to giving the cav a good goin over... as i'm firing it in for a show at kings hall belfast this wkend...

its not perfect by any means but deffo well improved on what it was,

didnt really bother wi too many during pics cos it took that bloody long to tape up all the plastics :(

menzerna polish's
red moose glaze
chemical guys 50/50 wax

and then finished result ready for the show in kings hall

engine bay and interior were touched on very quickly... but now i've the garage cleare dout i'm hopin to get stuck into them bother over the coming months
m00k

by Chris_H » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:56 pm

Love it, always wanted a cav turbo, hope you keep it looking exactly as it is.
Chris_H

by m00k » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:53 pm

Never got round to taking any reasonable pics of the motor other than in the driveway etc...

after show in larne today took a run through some random local country roads for locations, there was nothin overly excitin but i'm happy wi some of the shots...

my new desktop :D

m00k

by superfox233 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:58 pm

Wow. :O :band:
superfox233

by Chris_H » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:59 pm

Sell it to me please .
Chris_H

by rich30mex » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:03 pm

that must have take some patiants to wait till it was all done

repect
THE TEA BAG Calibra l,e number 4
THE WELLY rio verdi ecotec on a N reg
UNCLE ALBERT gray 8v on a J reg

Best engine bay 2011
Best engine bay 2014
Best in show 2016
Treasures cup 2016
Best engine bay 2017
Best modern retro total retro 2018

mag features
practical classics
modern classic
performance vauxhall

Have car have cloth will clean need life
Events Coordinator
Events Coordinator

by leelee » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:04 pm

were'nt this in tv a long time ago, i think it was january 2005.but it had 18in masitaly alloys.
total vauxhall hall of fame autumn 2009
garage_vehicle.php?mode=view_vehicle&VID=1075
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by m00k » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:20 pm

yes feb 2005 it was in tv then it started the rebuild bout august 2005... patience ran thin on a few occasions and there were threats to sell it/burn it out but i'm glad i stuck at it, amazing the old folks who come upto you in petrol stations and the likes talking of their old cav days lol
m00k

by MadOnVaux! » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:07 pm

Thats beautiful m8, nice to see a Cav T being restored, loved and cared for instead of being broken and the engine stuffed in a Corsa.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by m00k » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:53 am

lol yeah, corsas and the likes seem to have killed off a fair few of them but at the same time so did transfer boxes and porous heads :(
m00k

by m00k » Tue May 10, 2011 2:06 pm

Well, no major cav updates in a while and wi the cali getting the shoot last year it was very much 2010 for the cali!!

With it tucked back up in storage was turn of the cav for tlc!!

When engine was rebuilt i hated the hoses i'd got for it but at the time money cudnt stretch to full samco/chris astley or the likes!!

Turbo was also a little noisy and smoked sometimes on idle given that it was the original item and 94k covered it stood the time ok over 18 years!!

Soooo... up on axle stands, turbo off, old radiator out, pipework stripped and a bit of an engine bay make over...

old turbo...

rebuilt to hybrid spec with new actuator

also gathered an enlarged top hat to help with some airflow altho may need to look into an enlarged throttle body to get the full benefit

new header tank to 'lift' the engine bay a little and cleaner looking

had originally planned to buy the hose kits over time as they aint cheap and started with chris astley motorsport turbo coolant kit

they then went bust...

so have gather all new roose items instead

old radiator stripped out

new alloy TX Autosport item to replace, standard spec to allow for the intercooler pipes passing through altho it has a deeper core and comes with a new slimline fan kit...

Rocker cover and cam cover currently off for fresh lick of paint and also spark plug cover L piece getting polished...

Waiting on all new high grip JCS hose clips arriving for it now, and have all new bolts and gaskets etc for the build up, once she's built it will be time to get stuck in with the cleaning for Billing, with being up on axle stands the wheels havent had a proper clean in 2-3 years now i think and had some split cv's so they were in a lovely state, only have the before pics for now

polish and wheel seal coming up!!
m00k

PreviousNext