The black one

Show off your Projects here, the link for the garage is at the top of the page for showcasing your car

The black one

by simon! » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:13 pm

i meant to post this ages ago on here! so heres the current thread over tha last fortnight it might not make sense lol.

This was my old cally

Right i'm back, and bloody glad to be! :P

i now have an L reg black calibra, which i'm liking very much, i bought it knowing it needed some tlc on the mechanical side as it was running rough, so since tuesday i have changed the oil & filter, air filter, pollen filter, fuel filter, plugs, leads, coilpack, o2 sensor, rocker cover gasket and dismantled and cleaned various bits such as the throttle body,

anyhow i only have these pics at the min, as you can see there is some halfords [Censored] on, which has been removed!

anyhow my main task today was to sort the stereo out, i have no idea what someone was trying to achieve but the wiring was appalling so i ripped it all out and started again...

i was going for the idea of a full install, so i already had a sub and some 6x9s in the shed so i got to work fitting these,

and the first blood of the day.. i cried for 30mins

after an hour or so of tweaking i decided i wanted more sound from than the front than what was currently been produced, so i went out and bought these.

as you can imagine these are rather large so a little diy was needed,

door cards off

and time for trimming

all done and sounding VERY good

so i have been pretty busy this week 8)

more to follow..........

well it went to its first show today, even though i didn't get everything done :(

right well i made a list of what needs doing and im about 80% done, its coming along nicely, just given it a major clean, and polish for the first time, then it was getting dark so you cant really tell just how gleaming it is!

think the cam sensor is intermittantly failing, thats getting done 2moro, and the other 15% is me been picky,

oh also it has been completely removed of all halfords [Censored]! i now have flatblades all round rather than those appalling chrome efforts

small update,

had all the clocks out today and after some trial and error i managed to sort whatever some pratt had done and get all of the lights for various things working, :)

also put some blue leds in while i was there :)

more soon 8)
simon!

Re: The black one

by Redtops Rule » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:27 pm

looks like a nice cally you got there mate! I like the blue leds in the dash but are the dials not a bit dull?
Redtops Rule

by simon! » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:34 pm

Redtops Rule wrote:looks like a nice cally you got there mate! I like the blue leds in the dash but are the dials not a bit dull?

yes

i knocked the dimmer and realised after i took the photos lol
simon!

by simon! » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:24 am

Been very busy this weekend,

my brakes finally came so got to work doing that, also while it was in the air i replaced the lower arms cv boots and tidied up and degreased everything followed by a 6hour cleaning session!

fronts

rears

some old bits

all clean :)

simon!

by Maglibra » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:52 pm

it will take more than a dimmer to light the dash up with those bulbs :liar:

nice motor.
Maglibra

by simon! » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:54 pm

Maglibra wrote:it will take more than a dimmer to light the dash up with those bulbs :liar:

nice motor.

excuse me?

the dial below the light control nob?
turn left to dim,
right to make it brighter....
simon!

by Maglibra » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:07 pm

simon! wrote:
excuse me?

the dial below the light control nob?
turn left to dim,
right to make it brighter....

The blue leds never fully light up the dash hence why people install plasma dials instead. The speedo always suffers from dark patches.
Maglibra

by simon! » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:22 pm

yeah i see your point now. i have had some before that were like that, these are pretty good only bit where its slightly dark is around the top bit of the speedo
simon!

by Maglibra » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:34 pm

I know mate, I done the same on my first cally, was gutted after spending an hour trying to get the dials out to fit the bulbs to find that I couldn't see anything after 50mph :(
Maglibra

by simon! » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:08 pm

well officer you see the problem is...... lol!
simon!

by simon! » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:19 pm

right next i am thinking of engine tarting up. not really sure what performance mods you can do to an x20xev?
simon!

by simon! » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:06 pm

Not been on here for a while as i forgot my details lol :shock:

so heres the updates:

i treat her to a new exhaust.

might not be everyones cuppa but i like it :)

and of course a bloody good clean!

my engine bay at the moment (then i took heatshield off)

got some gauges too

i whipped the bumper off, took out the resonator box and fitted my cold air feed

straightened exhaust's out too

simon!

by simon! » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:09 pm

wheels off

rears brakes painted

and the fronts

first one done

and the next one

rocker cover off, and everything cleaned

sprayed in flame red with silver glitter

back on

and the finishing touch

simon!

by simon! » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:14 pm

This is the theme for my engine hoses alomost got them all now

And black rear lights

i took both the rear lights out and adjusted the drains then put a bead of silicone on them before refittng, this should cure the water in the boot issue i had, also i have sorted the boot lock out, it now functions correctly, oh and i removed my spare yes it was a silly space saver, iv left the boot carpet out to dry off as it pongs a bit :(

next i swapped ends i found out why it sounded like a vacuum cleaner for the first few mins of startup, one of the pipes on the EGR valves had come off so i silconed it back on, result. :)

the rest of my day was just general tidying up and i bit more engine bay tarting up, took a couple off piccies in her new home lol.

simon!

by simon! » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:18 pm

Also finally found some decent washers and got my bonnet struts on.

Oh and i know how much you love him, MR Duck!!!

simon!

Next