The On-Going Project SE4

Show off your Projects here, the link for the garage is at the top of the page for showcasing your car

Re: The On-Going Project SE4

by Robs-se » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:32 pm

Good work mate, i wouldn't even know where to start :lol:
Nothing succeeds like a budgie with nae teeth

Up the Hibs!!

Now with added Vectra VXR power

Now calibraless
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by DanSE4 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:02 pm

Right, engine is in (went in last Sunday) but I'm going to skip most of that due to issues I'm having now. Here's a few photo's from last Sunday.

It's in & now has strut brace as well lol :D

Problems now though,

When I turn my ignition on I have car electrics (headlights, rear lights, wipers, washers, indicators, sunroof, interior lighting etc) so all seems good there.

I have swapped the transponders in the keys.

What I don't have is 12v to the fuel pump, no power to the ignition system (no spark) & no EML light, the engine will crank on the starter but obviously wont fire.

If I give the fuel pump a manual 12v feed (to the loom that runs under the rear bench) it will run & I have fuel at the rails.

I've checked the 55 pin plug to the ECU & there is a 12v constant feed to it, there is an earth & there is also a 5v feed to it which switches with the ignition. The ECU is definately receiving power.

The EML bulb is fine (tested out of the clocks & in another point in the clocks so that rules that out) BUT, the bulb receives a 12v output from the ECU to light it. I've checked continuity from the 55 pin plug to the ECU & the brass connector on the bulb holder & that's fine. If, however, I give the bulb a manual 12v feed (or earth, can't remember which way around it was right now) either direct to the circuit on the clocks or via the correct pin on the ECU connector it won't light up. WTF?

Some wierd sh*t going on here.

Any ideas?
Calibra SE4 3.2 V6 + F28

A Couple of German Cars!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by v6 steve » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:30 pm

did you change the transponder ring around the ignition brarrel ? i been told it has to mach the chip as well
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by DanSE4 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:33 pm

The transponder ring is on the loom mate so the one from the V6 donor is now in my car as well as the chips in the keys.

I'm at a loss with the lack of EML when I turn the ignition on, it just doesn't light up. Steva suggested that means no power to the ECU but the checks I've done show that there is power to it.

The whole EML thing (as said above), when I manually power it is seriously frying my brain! lol
Calibra SE4 3.2 V6 + F28

A Couple of German Cars!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by v6 steve » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:35 pm

was there a wire from the ecu to the battery ?
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by DanSE4 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:42 pm

Got some new info now (thanks to a top member of another popular Calibra forum).

Didn't realise that the ECU receives its 12v "wake up" feed from the fuel pump relay. Comes through on pin 37, I noted a 12v, an earth & a 5v switch on the ECU connector but don't remember any voltage from pin 37 (I would've noted it if I had).

So, check this pin 37 for voltage & if none, I can go back to the fuel pump relay & work from there as to why it's not powering the ECU.
Calibra SE4 3.2 V6 + F28

A Couple of German Cars!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by C411BRAnut » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:10 pm

You're a braver man than me DanSE4. I'd have just gone out and bought a mag blue V6.
C411BRAnut

by DanSE4 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:50 pm

Now things get interesting.

P1010092.MOV

So, if I rig the fuel pump relay (take the f*cker out & 'hot wire' it) to give power to the fuel pump, power to ECU pin 37, give 12v to pin 4 dis coil straight from the battery, she starts (V6 + Powerflow does sound rather awesome too).

So, my understanding is that once the ignition is turned on, pin 46 of the ECU sends a ground pulse trigger (sent after immobiliser check passed) to pin 1 fuel pump relay. This SHOULD then tell the fuel pump relay to turn on the fuel pump & send 12v from pin 8 to pin 37 of the ECU & switch it on. In turn the ECU then sends 12v from pin 27 to pin 4 dis coil.

I'm not getting the ground pulse at pin 1 of the fuel pump relay, it's a constant 12v (no switch to earth at any point when the key is turned).

So (in my logic) that say's that either the immobiser check is not being passed so the ECU is not sending this ground pulse or something in the ECU is shagged.

Fun, fun, fun!
Calibra SE4 3.2 V6 + F28

A Couple of German Cars!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by LE16 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:15 pm

Well done for effort Dan.

With my 8v to LET conversion I just plugged the round connector in the engine bay and off I went! No wiring to p**s about with. I didnt have all the check control stuff that an LET has but I wasn't bothered.

:)
Sean

SE5 Turbo
LE 07
LE 16
Turbo
Another Turbo
Se7
V6
16V
8v
Club Member
Club Member

by saunders » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:03 pm

top work :D
saunders

by DanSE4 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:19 pm

Right, figured (as it's been nearly 2 years lol) I'd better update this.

Definitely works now (wouldn't have been at VBOA on the Sunday if it didn't :wink: ).

Long story short, after having some 90 odd electrical connectors to re-attach, two slightly important ones got hidden under the relay box & therefore missed (Yes Steva, you know the ones)! The, erm, main ignition live! :doh:

Started running like crap after a few weeks though so spent last year off the road as I'd had enough of it by then. During that time, had a pile of Calibra friends over in May & it was finally found that the insulation on the wires in the loom to the coil pack had disintegrated badly & were shorting each other out so I was only firing on 4. Re-doing those, gun gum on the manifold to downpipe joints, a rear knock sensor & a C25XE ECU (to get red of the SAI fault codes) & all was finally very happy.

Decided to chop an engine cover to do something about covering the Vectra cam covers & still have access to the oil filler cap.

Also have a polished inlet manifold but haven't got around to fitting that yet.

Blue inlet hoses.

Custom Plasma dials.

The dreaded test earlier this year.

Passed. 8)

Now just some recent photo's for the sheer hell of it!

Oh, I also bought one of these for my daily as my old Veccy finally s**t itself.

That's about as much as I can cut it all down to but she's all good now. There's loads I've missed but if I go on for too long, no-one will read it all!

Still got niggly bits I need to do but I've refused to do anything with it this year other than just drive & enjoy. Next year will hopefully see me iron out the last of the annoying things & if all goes to plan, possibly even a 3.2 + F28. We'll see. :)
Last edited by DanSE4 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calibra SE4 3.2 V6 + F28

A Couple of German Cars!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by rich30mex » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:52 pm

Love the dials and engine cover
Grt work there mate
THE TEA BAG Calibra l,e number 4
THE WELLY rio verdi ecotec on a N reg
UNCLE ALBERT gray 8v on a J reg

Best engine bay 2011
Best engine bay 2014
Best in show 2016
Treasures cup 2016
Best engine bay 2017
Best modern retro total retro 2018

mag features
practical classics
modern classic
performance vauxhall

Have car have cloth will clean need life
Events Coordinator
Events Coordinator

by DanSE4 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:58 pm

One of my niggles is that the paint is already cracking & lifting on the engine cover.

I'll have to have a think about that one.
Calibra SE4 3.2 V6 + F28

A Couple of German Cars!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by calidaz » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:24 pm

some mice work done on that motor :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: wher did u get the top spoiler and plasma dials they look savage 8)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by DanSE4 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:14 pm

Plasma dials were done by this lot http://moman.eu/

Need to email Adam Zysko english_info@moman.pl as they only mass produce them in kph & didn't have the V6 rev counter so I had to send them scans of mine so they could do a custom job in mph.

Roof spoiler was an Ebay jobbie, think it was something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Cali ... 1bfb2cca74
Calibra SE4 3.2 V6 + F28

A Couple of German Cars!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

PreviousNext