Kev's Calibra

Show off your Projects here, the link for the garage is at the top of the page for showcasing your car

Kev's Calibra

by Kevcalibra » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:19 pm

My SE2 has been on a little journey over the past 5 1/2 Years.

I sold my old one (L368 ETG) with deep regret. So with that always annoying me, it was only a matter of time. After a looking at a few and discussing my plans of what I wanted to do. I chose the SE2. Nice redtop lump in which was the only good bit about the car.

I removed the awful chrome trim on the journey home. When I got it home the first thing to get rid of was the black bonnet 4 hours of polishing and remove the filler from the roof rails. It was still wet somehow. Brakes were fitted wrong way round as they were drilled and grooved and the stereo was a maze of wires covered in tape. Yup. What a bargain(shed) I got for 200 quid.
ImageImage
Few months of driving and sorting all the issue out, I got bored. On went a full body kit and a 3 month trip to the body shop. Results here. Image

I drove around for a while but still wasn't right. I bought a boot install from a lad in Torquay and it lowered the rear end for me. So much so the rear bumper was ripped of on a speed bump. It was too big anyway!!! Back to the body shop it went.

With me now happy with how it looked for a bit. The c20xe got a bit boring. Out it went. Bought a 2.5l Calibra (M606LAB) as a donor car. This change was emotional. I changed everything. Dash board, interior, engine, brakes, exhaust, suspension, carpets.
Now this made me smile. V6 rumble with a car that looked alright. Happy days. This lasted a year. I got bored again. I was showing the car at every car show there was.

I fancied a change. So this was the time to fit Porsche Cayenne wheels. 19s x 9" all the way round with stretched 215/35/19 tyres on.
The at the same time came the baby blue custom leather interior. It stunk.

The front bumper annoyed me a little bit now. So with a few stone chips it went into the bodyshop again. To fit the bumper. But because every panel is smoothed together. It received a full re-spray (AGAIN). No point doing something which will look awful.

By this stage I was sponsored by VIBE Audio. The install changed and it was a lot louder. ( The neighbours wernt fans). With them paying for shows and putting my car on their stand, the car had to be at its best.
Early 2014 I got sent away with work. The car sat in the garage. Whilst I was away idea's came into my head. In plonked a 3.0l when I got back, The Porsche wheels were sold and on went a set of 3 piece split wheels, Mercedes wheels (5x112 stud pattern) Using wobble bolts its a direct fitment.... HAHA. like you can say fitting 10.5" wide rear wheels on a calibra direct replacement. Well we got there.
I dropped down to 18s due to wanting a different look and to be able to drive it harder. The colour was also changed. Took me months to decide but I went for Astor Grey (I bought and sold a pug 306 gti6 in this colour. It was gorgeous.)

Well here we are today. It is probably now in the best condition its been in. I have spent weeks putting all the wiring loom and plastic trims where they should be. And finished everything of so it all now works. The boot install has gone but a new one is currently being built alongside Vibe. Once the car is MOT'd. The wheels are coming off to go for a refurb. Powder coated faces with polished lips.

Jobs lined up are mainly underneath. I want it all protecting underneath and all the components removing and powdercoating. I also have a set of 4 pot brembo's which I am trying to set up a 355mm Disc and brake setup.

HOPE YOU LIKE. thoughts positive or negative are welcomed. If your a purist, its probably not your cup of tea.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Re: Kev's Calibra

by Allys Cally » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:47 pm

its certaily came a long way from when you first had it, unsure about the merc wheels but i suppose that could change once you've had them refurbed :wink:
BETTER TO HAVE A CALIBRA AND NOT NEED ONE, THAN NEED A CALIBRA AND NOT HAVE ONE!!!

BEST STANDARD BILLING 2009 CO-OWNER
BEST STANDARD BILLING 2011 CO-OWNER
BEST PRESENTED BILLING 2012
BEST ENGINE BAY BILLING 2015
Chairmans Choice - Scottish Car Show 2016
BEST INTERIOR VBOA 2017
BEST IN SHOW VBOA 2018
VBOA CHAIRMAN CUP 2018
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by Kevcalibra » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:53 pm

I'm unsure on them myself. Part of me wants the Porsche wheels back on. If I don't change my opinion on them I will sell them. There uber rare so worth quite a fair bit The last set sold for £2500. Cost was 500, Re furb is only £350 so worth doing.
I'm tempted to try same colour as the car.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Allys Cally » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:19 pm

Kevcalibra wrote: I'm tempted to try same colour as the car.

see thats what i was thinking, its one of those ones that you wont know until its been done
BETTER TO HAVE A CALIBRA AND NOT NEED ONE, THAN NEED A CALIBRA AND NOT HAVE ONE!!!

BEST STANDARD BILLING 2009 CO-OWNER
BEST STANDARD BILLING 2011 CO-OWNER
BEST PRESENTED BILLING 2012
BEST ENGINE BAY BILLING 2015
Chairmans Choice - Scottish Car Show 2016
BEST INTERIOR VBOA 2017
BEST IN SHOW VBOA 2018
VBOA CHAIRMAN CUP 2018
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by rich30mex » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:37 am

Great looking car there kev hope to see it at some shows this year mate
THE TEA BAG Calibra l,e number 4
THE WELLY rio verdi ecotec on a N reg
UNCLE ALBERT gray 8v on a J reg

Best engine bay 2011
Best engine bay 2014
Best in show 2016
Treasures cup 2016
Best engine bay 2017
Best modern retro total retro 2018

mag features
practical classics
modern classic
performance vauxhall

Have car have cloth will clean need life
Events Coordinator
Events Coordinator

by Kevcalibra » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:37 pm

rich30mex wrote:Great looking car there kev hope to see it at some shows this year mate

It will be at shows this year mate. Its been parked up too long. I've still not washed or polished it yet from the body shop.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by rips » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:41 pm

Allys Cally wrote:
Kevcalibra wrote: I'm tempted to try same colour as the car.

see thats what i was thinking, its one of those ones that you wont know until its been done

I think dark grey wheels will look fine on a dark grey car.
They won't show the brake dust like silver either. They just lose their shine a little until the next wash. 8)
1995 Calibra 16v Ecotec Jungle Green
1990 Elan SE Pacific Blue
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net