LED('s) off speaker wiring?

Any electrical issues

by Leigh » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:37 am

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if it would be possible to wire an LED (or more than one) using the speaker wiring in the front doors, before/after the speakers themselves.

I've absolutely no idea of the sort of voltages that go down the speaker wiring, and a similar amount of knowledge regarding what would be needed for an LED, and wether it would affect the sound.

Basically I was thinking of putting an LED (or two if necessary) behind each of the new blaupunkt transparent speakers I've bought, assuming I get them fitted ok.

If it's not possilble to use the speaker wiring/supply, how about wiring into the ciggy lighter, as I could put a switch hidden in the ashtray (don't smoke so only gets used for holding chewy etc..)

I thought about maybe getting an ICELED gem for either speaker, might look cool cycling through the colours. Adrian, if you see this, would it be feasible, and how much are the Gems?

cheers in advance...
Leigh

by Paul » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:48 pm

You wouldn't be able to use the speaker wiring mate. For a start it's a varying frequency AC signal, which also changes in size depending on the volume level.

Running additional wiring to them shouldn't be too hard though. You'd need to put a resistor in series with each LED though, otherwise they'll blow up.
Paul

by Leigh » Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:01 pm

Cheers for the reply Paul.
I had an idea I'd need a resistor in line with them, just from the odd diagram/talks I've seen on the site(s) in the past.
Any idea what sort of supply (voltage etc) they need, or can that vary according to the LED's themselves? I think the ideal way would be to piggy back onto the ciggy lighter if possible, as I don't use it anyway,.

At the moment it may be a null point anyway as it depends wether they a)get fitted [img]/cool.gif[/img] go behind the original grills instead of having the massive clear ones sticking out of the front of the door card.
Leigh

by leegsi » Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:06 pm

Most LED's take between 2v-3v.

Use a resistor and I think there is a wire in the door all ready (For the electric windows) thats only live when the ign is on or when the windows are able to open.
leegsi

by Leigh » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:57 pm

Ah, now that would be handy Lee, I'm just trying to avoid having to run extra wiring cos I'm lazy, !
Leigh