Help - Blank Fuel computer display!?

Any electrical issues

by craigmcd82 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:05 pm

Hi all,

Ive bought a fuel computer, which has just arrived and I have plugged the yelllow connector into the back of it...

As soon as i plug it in, the display flashes up for a split second, then goes completely blank. :cry:

Any idea what Ive done wrong??

Or is there something I need to do to "initialise" it??

Cheers,

Craig.
craigmcd82

Help - Blank Fuel computer display!?

by BenW » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:13 pm

Hi Craig

When mine stopped working, fuse 12 (I think) had blown, taking the fuel comp, reverse lights and check control lights with it. To you still have these?
BenW

by craigmcd82 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:08 pm

Hmmm... :?

My reverse lights and check control lights are still working, but I doublechecked all the fuses anyway, to make sure...

They all seem ok.

Anyone else got any idea what the problem could be?

[img]/sad.gif[/img]
craigmcd82

by Stupink » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:51 pm

Well i know you have to have them programmed for each model, but i would immagine they work just with the wrong figures..

I have heard they dont work unless you have the switch installed by the handbrake? do you have that on yours now? double check those connections. only thing i can think of.
Toyota Mr-2 roadster turbo
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Smurf » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:09 pm

Should still work without the switch in the centre console, except the fault symbol will be displayed.

Looks like you might have a duff one... try it in another Calibra / Cavalier / Carlton etc if you can. Try opening it up and make sure the connection between the two boards is seated correctly.
Smurf

by craigmcd82 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:30 pm

Well, i got it off ebay, the guy had a very good rating, and seemed honest... But maybe ive been done [img]/sad.gif[/img]

Do you reckon I could get a refund ?... hehe, yeah rite :roll:

Ive got the switch in place, and have checked connections.

Il try what u said smurf and open it up

Unfortunately I dont know anyone who has one that I could swap it with to see if it works.

Anyone near the bedford or loughborough area?? [img]/ohmy.gif[/img]

Cheers for the help - If you come up with any other ideas, please tell me!!!
craigmcd82

by craigmcd82 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:45 pm

Lovely Jubly,

Cheers Smurf - Thats cleared that one up.
You were right, it was a loose connection inside.
Fixed it and everythings workin.

Think the mpg and range may be a bit too high tho!

Il give it time to settle, then consider the possibility that it might need reprogramming.

Thanks for the help!

Just gotta remember to watch where im going now.
craigmcd82

by Leigh » Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:02 am

Craig, you can check the program that is installed on the Trip comp, I think from memory you hold one or both of the buttons on the switch while turning the ignition on.

It displays a code in the form of XX : YY , there's a list floating around somewhere with the codes against the engine type. If you post it here I'm sure someone will be able to find out. (I did have a copy somewhere but can't find it at the moment).
Leigh

by Smurf » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:07 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-craigmcd82+--><div class='quotetop'>(craigmcd82)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Cheers Smurf - Thats cleared that one up.
You were right, it was a loose connection inside.
Fixed it and everythings workin.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No problem at all - I'm glad it's all working now!

<!--QuoteBegin-craigmcd82+--><div class='quotetop'>(craigmcd82)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Just gotta remember to watch where im going now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hehe - I remember when I first put one in my 8v I was watching it all the time! Couldn't be without it now.
Smurf

by craigmcd82 » Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:08 pm

Right, When I hold the 2 buttons down i get the following:
Top display = 37
Bottom display = EC:03
Then when I let go, it displays 8780 for a few secs.

Any idea what program this is, and if it needs changing to be correct on a '95 SE4 8v?

I reckon, if you pretty much divide everything it says by 2, it is accurate...
I'm getting avg mpg of ~64, a range of 500 odd, and an average speed of 80something :shock:

Hehee.
craigmcd82

by Smurf » Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:56 pm

hehe - when I got my fuel computer out of a Cav GSI it was reading similar figures to that. I was getting average mpg of about 40 whilst average speed of 130mph... [img]/biggrin.gif[/img]

Speak to SteveU - he's on here and re-programmed mine for me - highly recommended.
Smurf

by craigmcd82 » Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:17 pm

Yeh, far too good to be true [img]/smile.gif[/img]

Okeypokery - I think it might be something to do with the motronic ECU and the number of pulses.

Steve, if you're reading this - Any ideas? Would you be able to reprogram it?

Cheers,

Craig.
craigmcd82