bloody sensors...again...

Any electrical issues

by carl_freeman » Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:41 pm

first I find out that its my oil pressure sensor thats causing my oil gauge not to work, £106 if I want it fixed, not urgent though...

but now, my engine management light keeps coming on for no reason... so I take it to vauxhall today, surprise, surprise its a faulty O2 sensor... and its gonna cost £232 to fit a new one! thats £120-ish for the sensor then the labour for fitting the new one +todays tests +vat...

I'm glad it wasnt something more serious, but these bloody sensors are a nightmare! my cali is only an N-reg, relatively new! ahhhgggg... :x

I need to get it fixed as it cuts into emergency mode and wont rev over 3500 ish, and is v-sluggish... doh...

(If I didnt love her so much id sell her.)
carl_freeman

bloody sensors...again...

by BenW » Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:47 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-carl_freeman+--><div class='quotetop'>(carl_freeman)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->first I find out that its my oil pressure sensor thats causing my oil gauge not to work<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
sensor or sender?

Assuming you're talking about 'driving' the oil pressure centre gauge, a cheaper option is to fit an oil pressure sender from a Mk1 Astra GTE or Mk2 Cavalier SRI (as well as some others which I forget) - they're a fraction of the cost (approx 44 quid?) but apparently do the exact same job.
BenW

Re: bloody sensors...again...

by carl_freeman » Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:53 pm

cheers for that, but Its the O2 sensor that Im most woried about at the moment... thanks anyway, I'll bare that in mind...
carl_freeman

by vauxhallman » Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:02 pm

Forget paying £44 for an oil pressure sensor, it's the same as on a Nova GSi, I got mine for about £18 from my local motor factors, part number was XOPT10 or something like that.

As for the O2 sensor, I'm assuming you mean the Lambda sensor, which is on your exhaust manifold and should be easy to fit (you don't say what engine yours is), but will be between £57 and £75 from Autovaux (<a href="http://www.autovaux.co.uk" target="_blank">www.autovaux.co.uk</a>). Fitting on the 2 litres should be no more that 15 minutes assuming is comes undone (doing it on a hot engine should make it easier, but there is also a risk of getting burnt).
vauxhallman

by carl_freeman » Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:14 pm

thanks... Hope I can get it fixed soon.
let you know...
carl_freeman

by peter » Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:43 pm

Carl,

For gods sake dont let Vauxhall fit a new O2 sensor for £232 - that is a total rip off mate. Like Vauxhallman says. Buy one yourself and fit it. It really aint that hard - it just screws into to exhaust downpipe (like a sparkplug !) Sorted.

Pete
peter