LED/Resistor advice needed!

Any electrical issues

by gran » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:37 pm

right, ive changed my quad conversions over to all clear lenses and got hold of some LED bulbs that are clear but show up red, when they are in the light on the dash stays on, due to the fact it doesnt draw as much current i assume?

the only trouble is that the LEDs dont light up at all, i know that they are polar but even when i turn them round theres still nothing??

what do i need to sort this? some sort of resistor?
it all abit beyond my knowledge!

trouble is that the cars going again on weds and without changing the whole thing back again, the brake lights are showing up white as there are standard bulbs in them!!

any help would be appreciated
gran

by gran » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:38 pm

there are 12 LEDs in 1 bulb by the way.

ive had a look on the maplin website but dont really know what im looking 4!
gran

by Cally-boy » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:25 pm

When you say turn them around do you mean you remove the bulb and turn it half a turn and refit??

If so this is wrong you need to swap the two wires that go into the lamp base.So your earth and live feed are reversed.LED only work one way a convetional bulb works either way.
Had this problem on my girlfriend's Ford Ka she has quad rear lights and fitted these bulbs. took me ages to figure it out.

With the check lamps being on i'm sure Quad Conversions say to fit a normal bulb out of sight so it draws the same current. But i'm sure if you work it out you could fit a resistor. Ask DC as he has been playing about with his Quad lamps recently
Cally-boy

by gran » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:15 pm

nice 1, cheers 4that. much appreciated. i'll go have a go at that and see what happens.

whats the difference between turning the bulb round half and swapping the wires? in theory its the same thing?? just a case of swapping the + & - round?
gran

by Naz » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:46 am

Gran, do you have the part number for the LED rings mate? will have a look on Maplin site and see what i can find. THey may need 24v instead of 12v or they may need less. Depending on what the required voltage is to turn them on.

Cheers
Naz

by Cally-boy » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:50 pm

On a bulb the outside is the earth (-) and the little bit at the bottom in the middle of the base is a live (+). With LED's you have to have the power feed going in the right way as an LED is a directional lamp.

By turning it half a turn your not actually affecting the power flow to the bulb.
Cally-boy

by Evans » Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:46 pm

Gran,
I had this prob thought the bulbs werent working so i took the bulb to the front of the car and tried it on the battery, by putting one wire on the side for earth and the other underneath..... Yep they work so the wires at the back of the car needs to be reversed . that is the wires going to your brake light holder
evans
Evans