4x4 light

Any electrical issues

by DAN » Sun May 02, 2004 3:10 pm

Hi
I opened a thread a while back about my 4x4 but have since had a look around behind the dash etc.
When I brough the car i was *told* by the owner that the 4x4 was working fine but later found out that the 4x4 light was wired into the ABS light to give the appearence that it was working. When I took the link out beween the two bulbs, the person before had taped over the contact between the bulb and the back of the clock to prevent the light coming on permanently. When I put the bulb back in how it should be, there was no light at all coming on. I pulled fuse 19 and still no light on :?

I think I have found the 4x4 ECU, which is above the main ECU and black in colour with about 12 wires in it. This is plugged in properly. Fuse 19 is fine.

I am getting my car back next week from the garage (with new clutch fitted [img]/tongue.gif[/img] ) and would really like to get the bulb working so I can read the fault codes from the 4x4.

Its is clearly an electrical fault/ cut somewhere but dont know where else to look. Stu mentioned fuse 12 as this is also connected to the 4x4, but that looked ok.

Anywhere else I should be looking for cut wires or pulled out wires that would cause the bulb not to work? I have the wiring connection on a workshop manual CD but cant work it all out.

Im slowly trying to sort the electrics in this car, Might get there one day :oops: :roll:

Cheers
DAN

by Stupink » Sun May 02, 2004 3:48 pm

That was naz or someone i think that suggested the other fuse.

All i have to say is that if they taped over the old connector,,,, WHY??? if they had dissabled it some other way it wouldnt be needed.. so i would pull the instrument panel out again, and double check that area.. make sure there is definately good continuety to the bulb and that it isnt just a poor connection or break around that area still [img]/smile.gif[/img]

Make sure the bulb hasnt blown as well [img]/laugh.gif[/img]
Toyota Mr-2 roadster turbo
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by DAN » Mon May 03, 2004 7:24 pm

I checked the bulb and it works fine. Checked all the connections on the back of the clocks, all works fine. Might be the clocks ?

Thanks
DAN

by Stupink » Mon May 03, 2004 7:39 pm

It shouldnt be the clocks, as far as i know there warning lights like that have no circuits in them, they are purely a wire coming in via the connector going to the bulb then the other side goes to earth..
Have you spoken to VTS yet? i would do that, phone them up and ask them the most likely way to dissable the 4x4 light is, they are bound to have come across it lots of times to suggest possible options, they're nice chaps and should you the advice you need i'm sure [img]/smile.gif[/img]
You might need to buy some bits off them to get it working afterall [img]/smile.gif[/img]
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Stupink » Mon May 03, 2004 7:42 pm

Maybe they taped over the input wire, or cut the input wire to the clocks? they'd have to know what they're doing to do that though, the double layerd PCP makes it hard to trace anything :-S best speak to vts
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by IanW » Mon May 03, 2004 8:04 pm

On Dans car they had taped over one of the connectors on the PCP, meaning that the bulb wasn't actually making contact, we removed this when we found out that the bulb had been wired up this way.
IanW

by Stupink » Mon May 03, 2004 8:35 pm

Yeah he said at combe, but thats what i dont understand, if they had taped over the connector to stop it coming on, why would they bother if like now dan has removed the tape, the bulb still isnt lighting up? it indicates to me it was on and that they've just taped it, so why isnt it on anymore :-S
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by IanW » Mon May 03, 2004 8:59 pm

The way they had it setup was they had shorted teh ABS light and the 4x4 light together, and then taped over the connectors on the 4x4 light.

Once Dan's car is back on the road i will ahve another look at it again with him.
IanW

by DAN » Tue May 04, 2004 11:18 am

thanks for your help guys, might just take your advice stu and take it down to VTS.
Thanks for the offer to help Ian, might get the cally back today, its been in the garage for over a week now. They said they couldnt do it until today. Just hope some youngster in the garage hasnt been ragging it around for a week [img]/smile.gif[/img]
Im sure it will be fine

cheers
DAN

by DAN » Wed May 19, 2004 12:14 pm

Sorry to bump this back up but just found a cut earth wire, dont know if its linked. The earth connection is next to the main ECU. It is cut here and I found the rest of the wire hanging near the top of the ECU. Dont know where it goes after that.

Do you think it is worth re connecting that?

Cheers
DAN