Remote deadlocking done - - -Easy, but...

Any electrical issues

Paint Sealant ?

by Leigh » Sun May 09, 2004 7:04 pm

Finally got the drivers door locking motor swapped for a passenger one this afternoon. Fairly easy to do, just fiddly taking the locking rods off etc if it's the first time.

Didn't remove the lock mech completely, just undid the torx screws and moved it to the hole in the door so I could replace the locking motor.

All works ok, deadlocks both doors now instead of just the passenger, and can still unlock the boot with the key if need be.

Only one problem,.. . . . (come on you knew it was coming)... as I suspected when I lock the car from the inside by pressing the drivers side 'tab', it deadlocks the car with me in it, and to open it I have to use the passenger side 'tab' , the drivers one won't move (deadlocked..).

Is this what the relay&diode are to prevent? I'd like to hear what others who have done the remote deadlocking mod have done about this.
Leigh

by craigmcd82 » Mon May 10, 2004 12:55 am

Why would the passenger side one work...? Shouldnt that be deadlocked too?

Is this with or without the engine running, or both?

I've been wondering about this recently too Leigh, as im looking into delocking at some point....

[img]/smile.gif[/img]
craigmcd82

by Leigh » Mon May 10, 2004 9:45 am

Yeh I did wonder about that, with the alarm armed neither will open (I think, must double check at lunch time... I checked the drivers side after pulling the power to the windows briefly so they lost the memory and hence didn't autoraise when the alarm arms).

I am talking about locking the doors from the inside tho before I start driving,, not with the alarm fob. I can also arm then disarm the alarm to unlock the doors, but it's a bit silly and is sure to get me some silly comments from my best mate (also a cally owner)... :-(

Weird but I can't remember if it would normally unlock inside from the passenger door... I don't think it did.
Leigh

by craigmcd82 » Mon May 10, 2004 10:09 am

I would nip out an check for ya, but Im currently callyless.... [img]/sad.gif[/img]

If i remember correctly standard set up is that you can unlock all doors from the passenger side. But if you lock from it, it only locks that one door and not the rest of the car.

Sorry if im wrong, thats just off the top of my head....
craigmcd82

by Leigh » Mon May 10, 2004 12:07 pm

That sounds about right, it still only locks the passenger door..

weird how you done remember stuff that you've done/seen for years everyday!
Leigh

by craigmcd82 » Mon May 10, 2004 2:52 pm

Yeh, know what you mean - I forget how to tie my shoe laces!

As for the motor swapping... was that fairly easy? Would someone as useless as myself be able to manage it?

[img]/biggrin.gif[/img]
craigmcd82

by Leigh » Mon May 10, 2004 3:10 pm

Swapping the motor was fairly painless. I've had the trim panel off that many times in the past year that it's almost 2nd nature now..(wish the same was said for my passenger one, I've ripped off about 4 of those clip posts , need to find out what glue gunk they use to attach them..)

Trim panel off,slide the interior handle out of the clip hole, then disconnect the rods from the handle. Then it's just removing the rods . deadlock cover etc from the door lock mech, undo the torx screws, move the lock mech to the hole in the door, unscrew 'old' motor, replace with new, and of course after that.....

the immortal..

refitting is the reverse of removal.
Don't rely on remembering which way the locking rods were before you removed them tho like I did....lol , had to take the passenger panel off to see the correct fitting (I had them on the wrong slots to start with.) I just followed the info in the Haynes for removing the door lock..fairly straightforward.
To my defense I had been out on the pop the night before and only started at about 15:30 :-)

Now if I can just find the solution to the deadlocked inside the car problem, cos it's annoying me already and I've only been out in the car twice since yesterday..
Leigh

by Naz » Mon May 10, 2004 6:57 pm

So whats the marks on the new motor? i know it has to be one from the passengerside, but what does it say on the motor? BA or something in it?!!
Naz

by Leigh » Tue May 11, 2004 12:26 am

the BA marking is on the ABS unit I think mate,

Drivers side I removed was/is 904 93701 (green 'dot' on it)
Passenger motor I fitted is 904 93702 (yellow 'dot' on it)

Bear in mind tho that they changed the motor type in/around '96, I've not got a clue if they look any different from the outside or if there just different connections etc. I already had the spare motor (first thing I ever bought on e-bay just after I got the car ), lucky for me it was the right one, as I didn't know about the two types at the time (phoned local VX dealer and ask for price & part number for replacement passenger giving him my chassis number)
Leigh

by Leigh » Tue May 18, 2004 11:59 am

sorry to bump this back up.,.. but anyone got any ideas??
Leigh