system 90 doesent unlock my cally please help

Any electrical issues

by dazza » Sat May 29, 2004 3:45 pm

Hi fitted my system 90 all works apart from the car wont unlock . Locks fine just does not unlock. All the connections are fine . Please help.
Thanks Dazza
dazza

by alarmbod » Sun May 30, 2004 4:20 pm

Disconnect the brown/white wire you've connected on the passenger side of the car & check using a multimeter that when you press the remote to unlock that you get an earth pulse on that wire. If you do, then chances are you have the wrong brown/white wire on the car or you have a fault on your CDL on the car.
alarmbod

by dazza » Sun May 30, 2004 4:36 pm

Thanks mate all sorted now. I connected to the wrong brown white brown red brown black wires. I found another set so I connected to them and all works perfectly.
But some times its like the remote does not want to work you have to press it a fair few times.

Madness

Thanks Dazza
dazza

by Leigh » Sun May 30, 2004 5:15 pm

Dazza, if you haven't already done so, change the batteries on your remote(s). You can get replacement from Maplins for 99p.
I just got a return unit as my control box was faulty (one remote worked , one didn't, but got a replacement remote first and it still wouldn't work).

Replacement box had 2 new remotes coded to it, one was great, one was poor, changed the battery and it was much better. I still find one remote seems more 'accurate' then the other tho (and that's the one I've got on my keychain).

If swapping the batteries doesn't work, check you've got a good earth connection, I got the wrong place for the earth when I fitted mine the first time, and it gradually lost power and would take in the region of 5 mins for me to unlock it!! Once I redid the earth (to the little bolt inside the passenger wing/glovebox area - it's already got a brown earth going to it) problems went away.
Leigh

by alarmbod » Sun May 30, 2004 10:21 pm

Its also worth remembering that the car's bodywork is like one big metal box, and metal shields radio signals - always try and stick the remote control unit as high up in the top of the dashboard as possible, then at least the radio signal has a chance of getting through the windscreen and the top of the dash instead of bouncing off the side of the car [img]/wink.gif[/img]
alarmbod

by skellem » Sun May 30, 2004 10:39 pm

Alarmbod, is it not possible to extend the antenna wire? Will this effect performance?
skellem

by Leigh » Sun May 30, 2004 10:47 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-skellem+--><div class='quotetop'>(skellem)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Alarmbod, is it not possible to extend the antenna wire? Will this effect performance?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

On my original box (got replacement now cos first one only worked with one remote...) it has a red label on the antenna wire saying "Don't alter the length of the antenna wire as this will adversely affect performance"

I'm guessing it's probably fairly high frequency and the antenna wire is a specific length 'tuned' to it..

I fitted my control box sort of wedged above&slightly behind the plastic air ducting at the back of the glovebox space and 'stuck' (well as much as it would) it to the foam backing there, with the aerial wire going roughly horizontal. I did wonder wether it might make a difference if I taped the aerial in place pointing 'up' as much as possible. That said I haven't had any real problems unlocking aside from low batteries, and one remote seems to be slightly more able than the other .
Leigh

Work in progress pictures.......

by alarmbod » Sun May 30, 2004 11:45 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-skellem+--><div class='quotetop'>(skellem)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Alarmbod, is it not possible to extend the antenna wire? Will this effect performance?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've never tried it to be honest, its the boffins in the technical dept at the manufacturing plant that added the ' do not extend' sticker - shouldnt do any harm in trying it 8)
Just make sure that any bare wire is taped up in a way as to prevent it touching the chassis, otherwise you will have problems :wink:
alarmbod