Alternator I Think

Any electrical issues

by KevV6 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:20 am

Battery light on all the way home from work tonight, car was fine on the way there....strange whirring noise from under the hood. Guess Ive fallen foul to the Crap Alternator Bug then. Voltage gauge was sitting around 8 all the way home, lucky I made it I suppose. Whats the damage likely to be, anyone know, should I avoid Main Dealer I presume ? Thanks for any help
KevV6

Alternator I Think

by lee683 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:07 am

take it to an auto electrican
lee683

by KevV6 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:56 am

Theres no chance its the Drivebelt snapped or come off is there, i mean it was fine today...i always thought Alternators gave some warning prior to failure. Can you tell me where the Alternator is located, Its a Jungle under the bonnet, i just cant see it...cheers
KevV6

by RobbieV » Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:18 pm

Kev, If the belt had snapped or come off you would lose your power steering mate, The alterrnator is at the bottom of the engine i think and a pig of a job to do :shock: get your alternator checked out at some where like Kwik-fit wont cost much. Dont go to J davy unless you have diamond studded platium unlimitless intrest free credit card [img]/biggrin.gif[/img] Go to one of the smaller independant garages like Basingstoke Autocentre in essex road which i use, good prices :wink: and good luck mate [img]/smile.gif[/img]
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by KevV6 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:40 pm

Ok Cheers Rob, may have to risk Halfords, its the closest...dont know how far she'll go with the battery light on before conking out. See you at work ;-)
KevV6

by Smurf » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:38 pm

My alternator lamp also starts glowing dimly when under load (i.e headlights and heated seats). The voltmeter never drops below about 12.5V though.

I've bought myself a spare alternator - a 120A unit - to go on when (and if) this one eventually pops.
Smurf

by RobbieV » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:18 am

Neil, out of general intrest how much do the 120a units cost, mines ok for now but like you say if it pops at least you have a spare [img]/smile.gif[/img]
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Smurf » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:12 am

<!--QuoteBegin-RobbieV+--><div class='quotetop'>(RobbieV)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Neil, out of general intrest how much do the 120a units cost, mines ok for now but like you say if it pops at least you have a spare [img]/smile.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Through Vauxhall they're £122 + VAT (with the trade club discount), or £167 + VAT without. There's also a £35 surcharge which you'll get back when you take your old one back. Although bear in mind they won't accept a 100A unit in exchange for a 120A unit (although if it's not clear on the casing (Delco) I doubt they'd recognise the difference; but the Bosch units are clearly labelled!).

I paid £45 for mine from someone on Mig who was breaking an Omega MV6.
Smurf

by KevV6 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:22 pm

Ok apparently the garage told me my alternator is overcharging, kicking out 15-16v. The battery light glows bright on acceleration and the voltage gauge shoots up, so i guess there right. Cost £300 supplied and fitted for 120amp unit, I'm not too happy naturally, phoned a few places and it seems to be a similar price range. Hope this one lasts a few years at least :-(
KevV6

by Smurf » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:11 pm

£300 is about right for a garage to do it, unfortunately [img]/sad.gif[/img]

Make sure your alternator cooling fan is working, otherwise your new one won't last too long... People have reported to have had an alternator last a long time with it not working, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Smurf

by KevV6 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:41 pm

Yes the Mechanics said the ducting had slipped away from the Alternator so wasnt really doing the job of cooling it down, could have attributed to its failure. 3 1/2 hour job apparently even for the guy whos doing it, says hes done a few in his time and their a real b***h on the Cally too. Ive had a look at the location of the Alternator and tend to agree, good ole vauxhall, great foresight into the engine design !
KevV6