Cooling/Heating fan not working

Any electrical issues

Billing who is all going ?

by Bails » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:44 am

Hi all.
The heating/cooling fan has decided not to work at all in my 1992 16v Calibra. The trouble started when I had the alternator replaced.

I have checked the fuses in the fuse box, they're fine. Checked the fuses in the air con box in the engine bay, they're fine too.

Does anyone know if there is another fuse within the wiring system, or could the resistor in the fan speed control knob be burnt out? If I remove the facia which houses the heating switches and controls am I likely to find a simple solution behind it?

When i turn the fan knob to full i hear a click come from the fuse box area, which makes me think power is going through ok and it is the fan motor which may be to blame...

Its bloody cold in Melbourne at the moment and my car is fogging up all the time. (aswell as me freezing my b******* off)

Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
-Mike
Bails

billing....sunday

by CHARLIE » Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:57 pm

is is that no air can be blown through or is it that its just cold air coming through?

when i got mine i could only get cold air, and after a whole winter of shivering my way around + taking the dash apart repeatedly, i found that on the driver side front foot well there is a connector arm connected to the centre console that was missing which is responsible for changing the temp from hot to cold so although i was changing it on the switch the msg wasnt getting there because there was a break along the mechanism to change it from cold to hot.

so i went to the breakers + got another....could be a similar problem, you have to fiddle with the hot/cold lever to find the bit that should be moving because its quite tucked away.
CHARLIE

by Leigh » Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:05 pm

U can get a better look at it if you remove the glovebox (or at least I can, as I haven't got a passenger airbag - careful if you have....!!!! )
Leigh

by Bails » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:53 am

The fan itself isnt spinning. the heating and coolong part is working fine, its just not blowing any air at all. When i am driving fast enough i open the sunroof a little and it creates a vacuum which pulls then hot air through and over the windscreen to get rid of the fog [img]/smile.gif[/img] but yeah, its the actual fan that isnt spinning.

Thanks for the suggestions though. I havent got an airbag so ill just rip everything out and have a look.
-Mike
Bails

by Bails » Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:02 am

does anyone know where the actual motor for the fan is? I'll hook up soem power to it and see if its still working.

I am going to pull the front panel off today to have a look.
Bails

by Bails » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:15 pm

I got all the front facia offf, the speedo covers. Took off everything i could and unscrewed the Air con/heater panel. But i couldn't unplug the wiring from the back of the panel so couldn't really get it out.

I tried getting my hand iin behind it but that proved to be very difficult.
If anyone has any suggestions id be very thankful for the advice!

-Mike

Drives a cold calibra
Bails

by skellem » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:32 pm

Mike, my Haynes manual is outside in the shed at the moment. The other book I have here in the study sheds no light on how to get the fan out! Sorry mate, I'll have a look at the Haynes in the morning.
skellem

by craigmcd82 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:41 pm

Dont know if this is any help, but Leegsi posted a thread in "interior" that included a link to a site that shows how to completely remove the heater control panel (in order to put LEDs behind it)...

The site is in German, but the link below is a (roughly) translated version. Theres a few pics on there too that might be useful.

<a href="http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.blauetachos.de%2Fdoc%2Fopel%2Fcal%2Fheizung%2Fheizung.htm&langpair=de%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools" target="_blank">http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...Flanguage_tools</a>

Dont know much about it, but I hope thats of some help.
craigmcd82