Please help with wierd power problem

Any electrical issues

by cookie_8v » Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:32 pm

Hi All

I thought i had problems with my starter but after replacing it with one that works no joy, got the multimeter out and power was going to the starter etc, moving the multimeter around and found there was half of the current running through the bolts that hold the starter to the gearbox and voltage all over the engine.

Cleaned up all the earths from the bat. but still no luck, placed a jump lead on the suspension turot bolt and connected this to the earth of the battery and the voltage all but disapeared ! and the starter then turned over ok (bit slow as i think its still shorting somewhere) but take the jump lead off and no luck again and all the dash lights are dim if you dont have the jump lead on.........anyone got any suggestions what i should try.

I have disconnected the round plug thing (nr the battery) and this drops the current reaching the starter bolts but also stops the car turning over......

PLEASE HELP AS IM DESPERATLY RUNNING OUT OF PATIENCE AND WILL GET SOME C4 SOON !
cookie_8v

by davamb » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:43 am

(Damn! Posted a reply but it went AWOL! Have to type it again.)
You're on the right track, paralleling the earth paths with a jumper lead is the way to go. From what you say there doesn't seem to be any connection from battery (-) to the chassis. There should be a stout lead going off to the side of the engine bay in behind the battery. Trace this, remove the bolt and clean both mating surfaces until you see bright metal. Check the condition of the crimped lug where it joins the cable. Check same at battery end. Replace cable and tighten bolts.
Check also the other earth straps, there's one from the engine to the chassis, one from alternator to engine. Starter to engine - unsure.
davamb