calibra 2.5 V6 alternator problem,HELP!!!!

Any electrical issues

For all you office workers....

by john123 » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:02 pm

new to all this,so hope someone can help.
Just recently purchased V6 CALIBRA after a short time alternator went wrong so i purchased a new one from local store to fit myself but could not do it, so a small garage fitted it for me, all seemed ok until it went again so I took it back to the garage and he said the alternator was faulty.So I got him to fit another one using his supplier. Now after 2 months this one has gone bad, so back to the garage where he is in the process of looking at it again. Can anyone throw any light on why this would keep happening, I love the car but must get this problem sorted so any help, comments would be appreciated.
Many thanks
john123
john123

by Smurf » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:07 pm

Is the alternator cooling fan working?

People have reported that they have had perfectly functional alternators without the cooling fan working, but I think it may have something to do with your problem.
Smurf

by john123 » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:16 pm

thanks
I will look into this, I will get back to you and let you know the outcome.
Cheers
john123
john123

by Smurf » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:39 pm

Good luck - it's easy to test. Just keep the engine running until the engine fan cuts in and you should hear the alternator fan going at the same time. If you need extra re-assurance just pull the piping off and you'll feel the air [img]/smile.gif[/img]

Welcome to the site by the way. It's good to have anoter V6 here [img]/smile.gif[/img]
Smurf

by V6_E » Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:01 am

Hi John welcome and as Smurf says it does sound like the alternator fan not working. If you are gonna fit another one i would fit a 120amp one plus make sure that fan is working

E
P Reg V6 In Titanium Pearl thats going to be stripped for parts now after being let down on it being bought whole :(

Now in a Crono yellow 2010 Seat Leon Cupra R with all the toys
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by john123 » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:11 pm

thanks for the replies. The alternator has now been replaced at the garages cost which he was not to happy about. The car is going fine at the moment so will keep everyone informed if any more problems arise
cheers and thanks john
john123

by jaybv6 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:56 pm

John, it is essential that you check the alternator cooling fan as if this is not working it will be the cause of the Alterntor failures. I cannot stress this enough.
jaybv6