Steam cleaned engine bay now have electrical faults

Any electrical issues

Steam cleaned engine bay now have electrical faults

by rich_DTM » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:44 pm

as above cleaned my calibra turbos engine bay, and now my air bag light is on and also engine fails to start on 1st attemp with the engine light flashing! i've tried a fault code reader but i have lost communication with ecu's! i've checked fuses etc.. and i havnt got wet carpets! some please help any ideas?
rich_DTM

Re: Steam cleaned engine bay now have electrical faults

by vinny_69 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:11 am

let me get this right you steamed it today yeah?
leave it a day and try again chances are it will sort itself out mate
vinny_69

by Fraz » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:21 am

get it in garage and remove every connector and dry it off
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Callyman » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:32 am

A flashing engine light whilst cranking means immobilser fault/no signal.
Details on how to join the club---Click me
Club Memberships
Club Memberships

by rich_DTM » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:13 am

yes steam cleaned it on wednesday lunch time, still the air bag light is on, have removed every connecter i can see and blown out then sprayed with contact cleaner, is there any major connectors that are hiden from view? Will leave battery disconnected for 4 hours today and will remove engine ecu and insect incase water has entered the loom.
rich_DTM

by Karls » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:16 am

I was going to do this but i might just use a cloth and some fairy liquid now reading this. :)
Karls

by Mark1 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:03 pm

I have mine done once a year and have never had a problem.
Mark...........It's Red........It's a V6............It's an SE9!..............and She's bad.
Mark1@clubcalibra.net

ClubCalibra Best Presented 2006
ClubCalibra Best Presented 2010
ClubCalibra Best Interior 2011

My Garage
Club Treasurer
Club Treasurer

by rich_DTM » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:04 pm

any one got any good detailed wireing diagrams?
rich_DTM

by rich_DTM » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:57 pm

Right got an update, the faults are not related to the steam cleaning! its a long story and one hell of a head ache.
basically i'm going to a Rolling Road event tomorrow held by MigWeb, i wanted my engine runing spot on as i had a misfire on full boost so i ordered a set of spark plugs, leads, rotor arm and dizzy cap from my local motor factor! fitted all the new parts and was running spot on, took for a quick road test and after about 1 mile 'BANG' massive flame out the back and then was only runing to two cylinders, pulled over (only 50 yards from my work) opened the bonnet but couldn't see any thing obvious, my lunch was nearly over so i managed to get back to work with only 1500rpm as it wouldnt rev any higher! so i steam cleaned the engine before road test i just thort i had got some water in the dizzy!
When i finished work the engine wouldnt start, WTF! after looking over every thing i removed the dizzy cap and found the rotor arm was snapped in two! how the hell did that happen? i borrowed a car from work and went home!

Next day got another rotor arm fitted and turned the key, snapped arm stright away, after some head sratching i found that the dizzy cap was wrong and the rotor arm was hitting the contacts (how it run first time i have no idea)
Right wednesday got the correct cap and another new arm fitted, turned the key but still wouldnt start! i could hear a rattle in the exhaust, looked after the car to find the rubber mounts for the cap had become two little piles of rubber on the floor and the cat had broken up, Bo==ox!!!! removed the cat and it started fine! cut the cat in half and knocked the middle out and welded up (just so i can use the car till i can get another one) raised car on a ramp to find under floor seam sealer all metted along with a couple of rubber gromits! cleaned up resealed the seams and fitted the cat! all running sweet better than it ever has!
Oh air bag light is now on along with this immobilizer fault! after checking all the under bonnet connectors thinking it was todo with the steam cleaning i had no idea what was wrong!

sorry i sad it was a long story!!

well tonight went to take the women to work and found that my hand brake light was back to front, on when hand brake off and off when the hand brake was on!! grrrrrrr what else is going to go wrong this week!!!!!!
i removed the centre console to investigate the handbrake switch only to find that the heat from the cat had melted the wireing loom to the handbrake switch and the air bag ecu and had burnt the carpet!!!!!
great another job for monday lunch, repairing the loom!
All because Euro car parts sent me the wrong bloody dizzy cap!!!!!

rich_DTM

by marko » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:48 pm

you wont get the airbag light to go out without a tech 2. that cat must have been hot, or is that from the welding
marko

by Fraz » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:51 pm

tech1 for a Calibra
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by vinny_69 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:09 pm

i know someone with just the jobbie :wink:
vinny_69

by rich_DTM » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:56 pm

i turned the light off used a mutli diag scanner! thanks guys
rich_DTM

by vinny_69 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:04 pm

rich_DTM wrote:i turned the light off used a mutli diag scanner!

whats one of them :oops:
vinny_69